Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Need home remedies

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:33 PM
  • 13 Replies
I need home remedies or anything I can do for a cough and stuffy nose for a 3 and 1 year old. I already have humidifiers running.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bmat
by Barb on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:44 PM

for cough I used honey and lemon. I mixed about a tablespoon of lemon with honey, and it helped soothe the cough. I wonder if vicks would help with the stuffy nose?

momamanda
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Honey for the cough. Real honey,  a teaspoon full, or/and Hot tea. Got nothing for a stuffy nose though sorry.

AnnaNonamus
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:52 PM

For the throats, anything hard to suck on for the3 yo will work similar to a cough drop,because it helps keep the throat lubricated. 

Tea with honey for the3yo, but I would stay away from honey with the 1yo if a/he is under 16 months, just to be safe (younger children can not process honey, and it becomes toxic). 

Runa super hot shower withthedoor closed for about -5 minutes, then take the kids in to breath in the concentrated moist air. It should help their cough and noses. 

Use a nasal aspiration if you have on to keep their noses as clear as possible. 

MJP76
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Garlic. Swallow cloves whole. On small children, cut a clove in half and rub on the bottoms of feet, put socks on. Do that every night before bed.

rayroe2
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:06 AM
Nasal sports and vapor rub on the feet and chest.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
rayroe2
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:06 AM
Spray
rayroe2
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:07 AM
You can use salt and water for the spray
ameraznkimko
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:50 AM
It's always good to have essential oils on hand if you want natural remedies..I use them on my kids when they are not feeling well..I would suggest applying them topically and diffusing really helps too..if you are interested I can list some that will help
aurora.dove
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:55 AM

For cough, honey and lemon. The stuffy nose the best thing I've found is the saline spray and get an electric Nasal Aspirator. It costs about $30 but it's worth every penny to comfort a sick little one.

liliem
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 9:18 PM
1 mom liked this

bathroom, door closed, hot shower running... the steam will help. Or very warm- almost hot bath. I use coldcalm homeopathic with my kids, give them 5000 IUD's Vitamin D once a day, and liquid vitamin C for my little one (about every 4 hours) and the pill version 1000 to 5000% for the 12 y/o (every 4 hours). This usually clears everything up right away, along with healthy meals. Also, I shower with my little guy and all of the stuffiness comes out in the shower.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN