Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

what to pack? please help!!

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:25 AM
  • 9 Replies

We are leaving in 2 days for a 26hr roadtrip with our 15mo old,

What do I need to pack besides the obvious, Clothes , diapers , wipes...

I've never been on a trip with my daughter, Please any advice is needed!!

Thanks,

Elyssia

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:31 AM
How many days for the 26 hour trip??? Stop frequently. Bring several new toys to busy her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goatmom4
by Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:38 AM

yup save toys  for hald way through so she doesn't get bored bubbles are nice too    they are cool to little ones

Bmat
by Barb on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Plan on run around time about every hour or two. Let the little one get out of the car and run and walk.  I liked to start very early in the morning so the baby would sleep a little longer and not even notice we were in the car.  It might be worthwhile to pack water the child is used to.

rayroe2
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:13 PM
Dang bendryle. Just plenty of things to do and sing and plenty of stretches
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
aurora.dove
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Plan on stopping at least every couple of hours to let her run around and stretch, maybe look up some playgrounds along the way and see if there may be one for her to play at for a bit. Bring lots of dry snacks like crackers, dried fruits, and other things she likes. Bottled water, keep a bag with a couple changes of clothes that is easily accessable outside of the suit case in case she accidentally wets through her diaper (not that you wouldn't change it frequently but sometimes sitting in a car seat for a long period of time can cause it to get bunched up and not sit right causing leaks) Make sure you have plenty of blankets for warmth and first aid kit just in case anything happens. If you have a dvd player for the car or have someone you can borrow one from they are great for keeping kids settled on trips, even if you don't let her watch a lot of tv at home it's worth it to have for long car trips.  

MJP76
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Just take a minute and think of your whole day. What does she need, use, or play with in a days time. Pack it. 

lovleopards
by Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 5:39 PM

BUMP :)

brittany208
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:18 PM

For our long car trips, toys, snacks, and pacifiers were essential. Make sure you have some wipes, blanets and such handy. Once DS got car sick and puked allll over the place--it was so gross. But I was glad we had lots of wipes and a couple grocery bags handy that we could throw the pukey stuff in.

MamaSnaps
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Ear plugs and a lot of advil for you! It's going to be hard! My son did it across country several times with his kids who are now 3 and 2. LOTS of toys and books that can be traded. A TV or dvd player in the car is a REALLY nice thing to have with kids that age! We did the trip from Alaska down the Al-Can all the way to Texas with 4 kids ranging from about 3 years to 8 years. The TV and their own music was a HUGE HUGE HUGE help. A tablet could be used for this too!!! Just strap to the headrest of the seat in front of the child and play videos, songs, etc for her.

The nice thing about the car is that they will sleep more than normal. Those vibrations put them right to sleep. If it's 26 hours of driving plan on about 35 to 40 hours. Not even kidding. When you stop for gas make sure it's somewhere you can get her out and RUN!!! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)