Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question for fitness guru's or women that workout.........

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 4:49 PM
  • 12 Replies

I use to work out regularly and then had a baby 18 months ago and did not start back until a little over 2 months ago. I was a couple pounds away from my pre pregnancy weig before starting back working out but had lost most of my muscle tone and was just flabby! But I am seeing results! My legs and arms are more toned and I can see my stomach muscles coming back, although there is still a little fat below the belly button! I do 30 min cardio at least 4 days a week and do some weight machines and then I do classes such as power burn, kettlebells, and super circuit (cross fit type class). And although I may be eating a little better I still have a lot of improving to do on that! I still find myself snacking on junk a lot and I still eat a lot at meals! I have always been a hearty eater! I am still breastfeeding so maybe that makes me hungry more! But just wondering if by cutting out the junk and eating less, would my results be better? I mean no longer than I have been working out, my results are looking great! Would I still continue to tone and build muscle without watching what I am eating?????

by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 4:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
offrdngal
by Terri on Mar. 23, 2013 at 6:09 PM
Do you keep track of your calorie intake? Do you use a journal, to keep track what you eat during the day? If not, it might help keep you accountable and help you stop snacking so much. I saw this cool idea, a few weeks ago, to help with portions. Get yourself a small cupcake/muffin pan and at meals, use the the pan as your dish. It will keep your portions small. I thought it was pretty clever! :)
If you watch how much you eat and continue to workout, I am sure you will see good results.
Good luck!!

Rota
by Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 7:37 PM

All food is not created equal. Junk food has absolutely no nutritional value and since you are still breast feeding, you need to make sure you get adequate nutrition- for both of you. Try substituting raw veggies or pieces of fruit for the junk food. Drink lots of water ( make sure it does not come from a plastic bottle).  I congratulate you on your exercise endeavors. Good for you and keep it up

saysmom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 9:48 AM

 I do eat my share of fruits and veggies! Why not in a plastic bottle?


Quoting Rota:

All food is not created equal. Junk food has absolutely no nutritional value and since you are still breast feeding, you need to make sure you get adequate nutrition- for both of you. Try substituting raw veggies or pieces of fruit for the junk food. Drink lots of water ( make sure it does not come from a plastic bottle).  I congratulate you on your exercise endeavors. Good for you and keep it up


 

Bmat
by Barb on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Because of leeching of chemicals?

Quoting saysmom:

 I do eat my share of fruits and veggies! Why not in a plastic bottle?


Quoting Rota:

All food is not created equal. Junk food has absolutely no nutritional value and since you are still breast feeding, you need to make sure you get adequate nutrition- for both of you. Try substituting raw veggies or pieces of fruit for the junk food. Drink lots of water ( make sure it does not come from a plastic bottle).  I congratulate you on your exercise endeavors. Good for you and keep it up




Rota
by Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Plastic is everywhere. We have become used to using it and think it is safe. However, lurking in that convenience is a chemical most people have not heard about but is wreaking havoc on your health and especially children's health. That is BPA. It is an endocrine disruptor which means that it messes with your hormones. Some people think it causes weight gain ( I don't know), but it definitely messes with thyroid and estrogen. It is suspected  of causing the feminization of many male children. That, and animals treated with hormones and antibiotics is  causing a lot of hormone changes in prepubescent girls ( and boys). BPA is in all plastics - not just storage containers and water bottles,  but it lines the cans of produce, think about all your personal care products that come in plastic containers. We haven't even begun to talk about phthalates. Yikes. That is another chemical we are exposed to and one that is very hard on children.

Bmat
by Barb on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Thank you for the information. I'd heard of BPA and have bought plastic that is supposedly BPA-free. I don't use plastic in my microwave any longer.

Quoting Rota:

Plastic is everywhere. We have become used to using it and think it is safe. However, lurking in that convenience is a chemical most people have not heard about but is wreaking havoc on your health and especially children's health. That is BPA. It is an endocrine disruptor which means that it messes with your hormones. Some people think it causes weight gain ( I don't know), but it definitely messes with thyroid and estrogen. It is suspected  of causing the feminization of many male children. That, and animals treated with hormones and antibiotics is  causing a lot of hormone changes in prepubescent girls ( and boys). BPA is in all plastics - not just storage containers and water bottles,  but it lines the cans of produce, think about all your personal care products that come in plastic containers. We haven't even begun to talk about phthalates. Yikes. That is another chemical we are exposed to and one that is very hard on children.


ashley9603
by Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Unless you plan to cut out the junk permanantly I wouldnt nix it just yet...I lost my baby weight with my twins and the key(I also breastfed)is to focus on healthier choices,not neccessarily taking away.Give yourself a treat every now and then and know that you are burning calories not just through your workouts but with nursing as well.I cut way back on my junk,however I have not cut anything out completely....I have added more fruits/veggies,lean proteins etc into my diet though.I would take it one day at a time,I use spark people and occasionally track my calories....I use it as more of a guideline and to see where I can improve more.I track all my workouts this way I can see how many calories I am burning and adjust my eating to that.

LveMy2K1dS
by Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 1:35 PM
Excercises is only like 25% and healthy eating is the other 75% (or something like that) so if you are eating like crap with nothing healthy and working out you might as well stop working out!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
saysmom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 3:00 PM


Although I am seeing results? Like I said everything is toning back up and my stomach is trying to make its way back. It is looking ALOT better! 

Quoting LveMy2K1dS:

Excercises is only like 25% and healthy eating is the other 75% (or something like that) so if you are eating like crap with nothing healthy and working out you might as well stop working out!



AM-BRAT
by Amber on Mar. 24, 2013 at 5:19 PM

I snack A LOT.

Not *junk,* but I eat often.

You are fueling not only workouts but growing a child from your own resources.

Give yourself more time, keep working hard, eat little bits often and hang in there!  :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)



Featured