Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am I a total douche? :(

Posted by   + Show Post
My husband and I just moved in to a new, much bigger, much nicer house with our 4 kiddo's and my best friend. My husband and I put down the deposit and pay the rent as well as bills. My best friends car crapped out so for now he is using our vehicle to get back and forth to work. He doesn't pay bills or anything (right now), but he does help us out with the youngin's if we need to do something.
Everything is fine and dandy except that when we brought him with to show him the house the day we signed the lease he 'called dibs' on an unfinished room upstairs. I had originally planned on my husband and I using that room once it was finished, but hadn't specifically said that, other than 'since that room is unfinished this [the other upstairs room] is is where we're putting our bed.' My friend has a fouton that he currently sleeps on in part of the living room. I know this may not seem like a big deal, but the other room is close to being finished and I really wanted it for my own......Am I going to be a total douche if I tell him that once it is done my husband and I want to move our stuff in there and he can have our old room? :(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 6:03 PM
Replies (21-25):
DVS
by Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:04 PM
This is a very special arrangement
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MJP76
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:09 PM

No. You pay the bills. It's your home.

scorpiobabes
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 1:24 PM

No. Explain it to him the way you explained it (except don't mention the money part). Let him know that was your plan to do up a special room for just the two of you, but that you planned to give him your old room.  Since he doesn't pay rent, and is using your car to get to work, his claiming 'dibs' on a room in a home where he isn't even on the lease is moot. And if he's working but not contributing to the household, what exactly is he paying for???

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:01 PM

I don't think so. Especially since he isn't paying for anything. It's basically you and your hubby paying for the house. 

Is his name on the paperwork? IF not, then he doesn't get a say.

CafeMom Tickers
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:30 AM

You pay, your rules.  One more reason why it is never a good idea to live with friends after you have a family.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured