Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Shopping for first baby!

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 6:26 PM
  • 15 Replies

There are so many nice things out there which is exciting but confusing. I have been looking at crib bedding and the prices range from like $200 to over $1000, how much is reasonable to spend, is $1000 bedding worth it?

by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 6:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CreziaMommyTo2
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 6:31 PM
1 mom liked this

i guess it depends on you.

when i registered for my crib bedding i think it was about $250, just for the bedding, and than the lamps, drapes, etc were more.  we used it maybe a handful of times.

but i know others who used the crib constantly, so it was worth it for them.

i didnt buy any of my bedding.  my friend bought it all for me for my shower

Beth3721
by Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 6:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I used a hand me down crib and got some fitted crib sheets for about 40.  That lasted all of babyhood.  You shouldn't even use bedding for a baby.  It's a suffocation hazard.

aarensmommy
by Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 6:33 PM
1 mom liked this

1000 bedding is totally not worth it... u are not suppose to use bumpers (which most bed sets come with) and for the first year i doubt you will even use the comforter that comes with it.  i know i didnt with my 3 kids... i bought a bed in a bag for my first it was on sale for 100$ and it came with comforter bumpers, sheet, mobile, pictures (2), and lamp...my boys loved the mobile so that was worth it.. for dd i just got sheets and matching comforter she is 13mon and have yet to use the comforter lol the reason i bought it was for the window curtains and wall decor it came with!

we had a budget....but if funds were unlimited i may have splurged and went all out with the 1000$ items haha!!

good luck have fun

momofsunshine77
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 7:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I only bought crib sheets like at walmart for 15 bucks I think.  I didnt buy a bumper pad until they started to roll.  I did not have matching everything in the room.  I thought that was a waste.  I bought what ever was cheapest whether it matched or not.  LOL 

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 7:32 PM
1 mom liked this
$250 is crazy unless you are independently wealthy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamalusbear
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 7:50 PM
1 mom liked this

If it's your first baby and you want to go all out, then it's okay to splurge a bit.  IMO I think that $200-$300 is a good amount to spend on bedding, you can get some cute stuff and a few accessories.  If you're going to splurge, I think that strollers are a good place to splurge...you want something well built and easy to fold up, it's worth spending a little more.

SewingMamaLele
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 7:55 PM
2 moms liked this
All you need is a sheet... assuming baby sleeps in the crib in the first place! Haha..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
brittany208
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:06 PM
1 mom liked this

That's waaay to much. I mean, it obviously depends on what you can afford... but there is no reason you should have to spend anywhere near that much!!

With my first, someone bought us a bedding set with a sheet, bumper, mobile, crib skirt, and comforter. I bought 4 extra sheets and a couple thin mattress pads. Well, you arent really supposed to use a bumper or a comforter anyways... And I definitely did not need that many extra sheets.

This time, We bought two sheets and are using the mattress pads we already have. If I feel thus inclined I may make/buy a crib skirt because they are cute... but that about does it for us.

Bleacheddecay
by Silver Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:43 PM
1 mom liked this

With my first baby, I bought a round white canopy crib. She was coming into the world under difficult circumstances. I wanted something different, fresh, and new. I remember thinking it was expensive but I didn't want my child to be in a regular rectangular crib. I wanted her to have more than normal options in life. I also had the linens made, white eyelet and washable satin.

I also got a basinet and a cradle. I used them all between the two kids. We also used a retanguar crib that had been handled down in the family when they got older. It wouldn't be considered safe for a little baby but it was find when they got older.

Luvmykids7
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Thanks so much for all your replies!  This will be my first and most likely only child and I really want him/her to have a gorgeous nursery so I guess I just have to find one I love as crib bedding seems in general to be a bit of a waste! lol!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)