Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breast pumps?

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 7:17 PM
  • 9 Replies

Has anyone ever heard of the PJ's comfort pump?  I'm wondering if I should get that one or the medela pump in style.

by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 7:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
brittany208
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:15 PM

never heard of it. I got a medela and liked it.

SewingMamaLele
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:17 PM

If you haven't heard of the PJ's comfort pump, I'd say it's a good bet it's not a very good pump (I've never heard of it either!).

Will you be returning to work or school?   The Medela, Ameda or Hygeia are all good choices.  

mamalusbear
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:43 PM

I'll be in school part time.  My insurance company was offering the medela Pump In Style, but there has been a manufacturer backlog so they are offering a pretty bare-bones medela.  The Pump In Style was replaced by the PJs comfort pump.

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

If you haven't heard of the PJ's comfort pump, I'd say it's a good bet it's not a very good pump (I've never heard of it either!).

Will you be returning to work or school?   The Medela, Ameda or Hygeia are all good choices.  

shortyali
by New Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:50 PM
Never heard of it before but I just checked out their website. I would use it. It's a hospital grade, closed system pump. Sounds a lot better than the Medela Pisa which isn't hospital grade and is an open system. Worse case is get the pjs and if you don't like it, the fact it's a closed system an has a 3 year warranty, you can sell it and get something else.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
celticgodess
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:56 PM

never heard of it, but is it a closed or open system?  I have a Medela (my second) and while I love them after learning all I have about the differences and possible mold in open systems (no matter how rare) I would never buy another.

mamalusbear
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 9:16 PM

It's a closed system, that's what I like about the PJs.  I  had a lot of mold issues with my medela, even though I was dilligent about cleaning and sanitizing the parts.  It really turned me off from getting the pump.

Quoting celticgodess:

never heard of it, but is it a closed or open system?  I have a Medela (my second) and while I love them after learning all I have about the differences and possible mold in open systems (no matter how rare) I would never buy another.

celticgodess
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 9:22 PM

How did you know you had an issue?  could you see it?  Everything I read said it mostly grew in the motor so there was no way to tell unless you took it apart

Quoting mamalusbear:

It's a closed system, that's what I like about the PJs.  I  had a lot of mold issues with my medela, even though I was dilligent about cleaning and sanitizing the parts.  It really turned me off from getting the pump.

Quoting celticgodess:

mamalusbear
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 9:26 PM

There was mold in the tubing and it got into the phlanges (did i spell that right?) it was downright yucky.

Quoting celticgodess:

How did you know you had an issue?  could you see it?  Everything I read said it mostly grew in the motor so there was no way to tell unless you took it apart

Quoting mamalusbear:

Quoting celticgodess:

Jenn820
by Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 8:04 AM
I loved my Medela pump and used it for a year while working full time. I never had an issue with mold. I did have the best one a the time. I didn't have an office but I was able to talk to the clinic people on the bottom floor of my building (which worked on days I was near my office.) I've had to use it in a number of places, I've even successfully pumped in the car. :)
I rinsed everything after each use and threw it in a bottle steamer every day after work and the let it dry. As I said, I used it every work day for over a year, 2-3 times a day.
I could be in & out in about 20 minutes. (I did get one of the hands free bands) and coul even review documents or read a magazine while I pumped. I'm pregnant with #2 now. I'm now a SAHM so I won't use it as much, but I'm getting new tubing, cones, etc and will use it again to help my milk production and get a back-up supply stocked.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured