Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

German Shepard info

Posted by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 1:19 PM
  • 13 Replies

does anybody have any good German Shepard info pages somethng that goes beyond how big they get the temperment info stuff like that i want to learn alot about them i just have been able to find just some very basic info on them.

save the date

by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 1:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 1:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I suggest getting a book on the breed.

nurse1997
by Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Do you have a german shepard now ? German shepards are very protective animals of the household and if you have children as they get older and have friends over it becomes a safety hazard  for you and the oither children -males are always bigger than the females - Their ears should be standing by 3 to 4 months i know some vets say they will stand but if they are not up by this age take the pup in to the vet and get the ears taped up not all dogs ears stand even on german shepards - A german shepard needs quality food and yogurt  works great for their ears and shiny coats hope this help some

tinkerspell
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Is it detrimental to their health if the ears are not up? 

Quoting nurse1997:

Do you have a german shepard now ? German shepards are very protective animals of the household and if you have children as they get older and have friends over it becomes a safety hazard  for you and the oither children -males are always bigger than the females - Their ears should be standing by 3 to 4 months i know some vets say they will stand but if they are not up by this age take the pup in to the vet and get the ears taped up not all dogs ears stand even on german shepards - A german shepard needs quality food and yogurt  works great for their ears and shiny coats hope this help some

save the date

zacmacsmomm
by Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 10:14 AM

I was raised with German Shepherds all my life, I have a 7 year old male right now.  It's rare for a shepherd who's ears dont' stand up, but it happens.  My parents have a shepherd and her ears never did stand up, it's called a soft ears.  As far as protectiveness, yes they are.  BUT that doesn't mean they will attack anyone that comes near you or your children.  They are pretty good at who they view as threats.  My boy is very protective of my 13 year old daughter, BUT never has an issue when friends are over, even new ones.  They are very attune to your emotions.  Generally if you are relaxed around someone, they are too.  Personally, GSD is my favorite breed in the whole wide world lol.  I'm willing to answer any questions you have.

ceciliam
by Cecilia on Mar. 25, 2013 at 10:22 AM

This! I have only owned GSD's and they are my favorite breed.

Quoting zacmacsmomm:

I was raised with German Shepherds all my life, I have a 7 year old male right now.  It's rare for a shepherd who's ears dont' stand up, but it happens.  My parents have a shepherd and her ears never did stand up, it's called a soft ears.  As far as protectiveness, yes they are.  BUT that doesn't mean they will attack anyone that comes near you or your children.  They are pretty good at who they view as threats.  My boy is very protective of my 13 year old daughter, BUT never has an issue when friends are over, even new ones.  They are very attune to your emotions.  Generally if you are relaxed around someone, they are too.  Personally, GSD is my favorite breed in the whole wide world lol.  I'm willing to answer any questions you have.

AleaKat
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 10:24 AM
Bump.
I have a German Shepard / boxer mix
She has been the best dog Ive ever had. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tinkerspell
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:17 AM

im happy about the ears my boy is 9 months and his ears dont stand and i dont believe in hurting a dog just for a preffered look. He is such a good boy and is always astounding me with how smart he is. like how when we come come he has to coumt the kids he will give each one a kiss  and if ones at a friends house he does his bisness outside upon coming inside he stalks the door for the missing one to come back throught the door. Also i have recently started up a bad habit of smoking and he keeps trying to steal the ciggerite away from me i gave it to him once he took it and destroyed the ciggeritte and then came back and was what a good boy i am lol. by far they are starting to become my faverite breed but he has picked me as his faverite and gets very protective and jealous if i let the othere come near him while i am petting her i dont allow this to happen i scold him of course but is that normal of them the other dog wont even play with me anymore becouse of that 

Quoting zacmacsmomm:

save the date

zacmacsmomm
by Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Well that kind of behavior needs to be stopped.  He is only 9 months old, sheppies take FOREVER to grow up lol.  The best way to stop his possesiveness is to always have treats on hand.  Every good behavior gets a treat and VERY high praise.  If another animal comes up, make sure your boy is either sitting or lying down. Have the treat in your hand so he see's it.  Treat him will the other animal comes up.  Eventually he will learn that other animals are ok.  Don't forget the high praise.  IF he gets jealous when another person comes up, make sure they have a treat.  Don't let that person pat his head, that is a dominant move and should only be done when your pup understands the heiarchy in your home.  Sheps are like wolves, there is a very defineable pecking order.  Also, if you haven't gotten him fixed yet, do that asap.  GSD's are extremely intelligent and loyal.  With the proper training they will be the best family member you have :)

Quoting tinkerspell:

im happy about the ears my boy is 9 months and his ears dont stand and i dont believe in hurting a dog just for a preffered look. He is such a good boy and is always astounding me with how smart he is. like how when we come come he has to coumt the kids he will give each one a kiss  and if ones at a friends house he does his bisness outside upon coming inside he stalks the door for the missing one to come back throught the door. Also i have recently started up a bad habit of smoking and he keeps trying to steal the ciggerite away from me i gave it to him once he took it and destroyed the ciggeritte and then came back and was what a good boy i am lol. by far they are starting to become my faverite breed but he has picked me as his faverite and gets very protective and jealous if i let the othere come near him while i am petting her i dont allow this to happen i scold him of course but is that normal of them the other dog wont even play with me anymore becouse of that 

Quoting zacmacsmomm:

zacmacsmomm
by Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:56 AM

This is my boy, Deimos!

tinkerspell
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:18 PM
He is such a hansom fella

Quoting zacmacsmomm:

This is my boy, Deimos!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN