Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Strep Throat??

Posted by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 7:32 PM
  • 16 Replies

How long does it take for one to get strep after they have been exposed? I went to church feeling fine this morning & then after had a sore throat. Then I go back for an Easter Celebration for the kids & overheard a youth member say she had babysat a kid whose whole family had strep! Her younger sisters goes to the same school my DS goes to & one is even in a Bible study with my DS during the week. I have never had strep before (although I'm pretty sure every single one of my kids have!). The odd part is it's only the left side of my throat. It hurts to swallow & if I push on my neck on that side it hurts (I know... don't do that stupid! LOL)

by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 7:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 8:28 PM
1 mom liked this

You need to go to doctor to verify that it is strep if you never had it.   Do a salt rinse for now to help ease some of the soreness.

averysmommom
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Usually you can see strep. Growing up I got it and tonsillitis 2-3 times a year. You will typically see lots of redness and some white puss looking things. It's gross and hurts like hell. Good luck!

snowangel1979
by Silver Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 8:46 PM
Take a flashlight and look in your throat.

It's not 100% but 8 times out of 10 you'll have little pus balls in your throat, if you have strep.
(little trick I learned working at a family practice for 10 years LOL)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:37 PM

I would do what snowangel said

mich.el.le
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:39 PM

I think it usually takes a couple of days. And white puss pockets or streaks can be an indication, but the last time I had strep my throat was just red.

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Mar. 25, 2013 at 2:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Go to the dr
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AniyahAmir_Mom
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 2:32 PM

You can catch is pretty quick

kirbymom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 2:41 PM

You do not always have the puss or the red streaks. I have had strep a few times and I never had those indications. And yes, I went to a doctor to get it verified. The only thing they did the first time was give ma an antibiotic and tell me to not talk at all. If strep is severe enough, it can leave you with no vocal cords with which to vocalize your words. So, if I were you, I would go to a doctore to verufy that you do indeed have strep or not have strep. Sometimes it can also be the lymph nodes in our throats that can cause such a nasty sore throat too. Like has been suggested, you should gargle with warm salt water. I would also drink some hot lemon tea as that can keep your throat soothed for a bit.  Hopefully, you do not have strep.  Hope you feel better soon! 

smalltowngal
by Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 4:04 PM

It takes a couple days after being exposed to get it. My DD's big symptoms was a bad headache. She would get that before a fever or sore throat. 

AtillaTheHun
by Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Strep throat hurts like a monkey┬┤s butt!! Here are some helpful things you can do: 

http://ezinearticles.com/?Effective-Home-Remedies-for-Strep-Throat&id=225748

I hope it helps and you feel better soon!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)