Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

How long does it take for one to get strep after they have been exposed? I went to church feeling fine this morning & then after had a sore throat. Then I go back for an Easter Celebration for the kids & overheard a youth member say she had babysat a kid whose whole family had strep! Her younger sisters goes to the same school my DS goes to & one is even in a Bible study with my DS during the week. I have never had strep before (although I'm pretty sure every single one of my kids have!). The odd part is it's only the left side of my throat. It hurts to swallow & if I push on my neck on that side it hurts (I know... don't do that stupid! LOL)

by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 7:32 PM
Replies (11-16):
LindaClement
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:37 AM

When it's going around, you've probably been exposed to it multiple times by the time you have any symptoms...

You could try fresh (never cooked, not canned) pineapple: it kills viruses and bacteria with a natural enzyme (that works particularly well in throats --how handy is that?) that breaks open their cell walls.

Sweet_Carol_126
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:52 AM

Strep usually takes more than overnight.  However, it could have gotten started earlier b y someone who sneezed on you.  You might gargle with salt a bit to just soothe it.  I can tell you that strep throat eally hurts and you will feel like crying when you swallow.  When you have a strep throat you could go to doctor and there might be medications.  Hope this is a false alarm.  With a neck hurting it could be meningitis.  There is a faster incubation period  think.  My neck has been hurting too.  I have wondered aout this; however it leaves at times so may be that I have been twisting my head to watch tv and the pain is muscular.  You need to see a doctor if you get worse.

CampClan
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 6:25 AM
After reading all the posts I'm not entirely sure it is strep. It doesn't hurt like a monkeybutt like one PP said. Lol it's just sore. And as for the neck- it's only when I push on that spot. I can bend my neck all sorts of directions & it not hurt.

I guess I will just gargle warm salt water & pray I can see a doc next week when I'm on vacation.

Quoting Sweet_Carol_126:

Strep usually takes more than overnight.  However, it could have gotten started earlier b y someone who sneezed on you.  You might gargle with salt a bit to just soothe it.  I can tell you that strep throat eally hurts and you will feel like crying when you swallow.  When you have a strep throat you could go to doctor and there might be medications.  Hope this is a false alarm.  With a neck hurting it could be meningitis.  There is a faster incubation period  think.  My neck has been hurting too.  I have wondered aout this; however it leaves at times so may be that I have been twisting my head to watch tv and the pain is muscular.  You need to see a doctor if you get worse.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
rayroe2
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 6:30 AM
Sound like it....do you have a strawberry tongue white white spots any where in the back of your mouth.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Barb on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:39 AM

You may have strep and should go to the doctor. It is possible that you were exposed before the exposure at the church service. I hope you feel better soon.

zacmacsmomm
by Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Get a flashlight and look in your throat!  If your tonsils are enlarged and have white puss pockets on them, get to a doctor asap.  Strep is a very fast acting illness, you feel fine one minute then hurting the next. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)