Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

HELP MY SON WON"T SLEEP!!!

Posted by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 8:42 PM
  • 14 Replies

My 2 year old will not sleep at all!!! This has been going on for a couple months now and I have done everything!! I am 6 months pregnant and can not bring another baby into this family with him being up all night! We eat dinner around 6:30 then bath at 7 then we lay on the couch and read a book or watch a short cartoon or show. Then we go to bed. He will fall right to sleep but between 9 and 11 he is up and wide awake. A friend of mine told me about meletonin and I tried to give him 5mg and it did nothing. It used to not affect him durring the day but now he is out of control! I find myself getting very frustrated and annoyed. He is screaming and crying all day long! He is just acting naughty!! Help!! I don't know what else to do! Does anyone think he could have developed a sleep disorder of some sort??? Has anyone else been through this??

by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 8:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wildhorses420
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 8:47 PM

How much of a nap does he take?

mandy92402
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 8:48 PM

he sleeps from around 11-1130 until 1-130

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 8:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Have you talked to his doctor about it?  You may have to do a CIO technique or something. You can also try white noise in his room to help keep him asleep whether it be a fan, white noise machine or soothing music playing.   Part of him not sleeping could be he really notices the changes in you and getting anxious.  Now is the time to take control and show him who is in charge.  Are you sharing a bed with him?  If you are, the baby inside womb could be kicking him at the times he wakes up.

You have no choice whether the new baby comes or not since they will arrive regardless of how big brother is sleeping.  

wildhorses420
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Does he go willingly for his nap? I would say either shorten his nap or do away with it unless he falls asleep and let him sleep for 45min-hour at most. See if that helps. It's what worked for me. It was hard to give up the nap because I needed the break but it worked out better at bedtime

Mommytoaangel
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:51 AM
Shorten his nap try bathing him in johnsons bed time bath stuff instead of watching tv or reading a book in the liveing room read in his bedroom with dim lights an use a white noise machine
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Maybe try shortening his nap

kirbymom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 2:33 PM

It sounds like he is getting too much sleep. Sometimes a L.O. does not need as much "sleep" as most other L.O.'s do.  That is not to say that he does not need his "rest". Those two things do not always go hand in hand. I would have him stay up a little longer at bedtime and see how he handles that. Maybe you should also shorten his nap time as well.  I had to do this with a couple of my children. At first, it was sort of aggravting and very frustrating for me. But, when I realized that they had had enough sleep and rest, then I was able to change a few things around and still get that time I needed to get things done or get that rest that I needed.  And everyone felt so much better and the over all atmosphere felt better too since everyone was in a better mood.  Good luck. :) 

LoreleiSieja
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 2:43 PM
1 mom liked this
How much outdoor exercise does he get in a day? How much sugar? And how long does he watch TV? All these things can affect his sleep. He needs to have two hours a day, minimum, of outside exercise. This can be done one hour in the morning, and one in the afternoon, or broken up however it fits with your daily routine. Playing outside helps him to burn off energy, develop large motor skills, and expose him to sunlight, which helps his body to become sleepy when the sun goes down. Spending too much time indoors affects our natural circadian rhythms, and is a major cause of sleep disorders. A child that is cranky during the day, and not sleeping well at night, is often getting too much sugar. This is not hard to do, even if you never give him desserts. There is sugar in almost everything you can buy at the grocery store. There are hidden sweeteners in hotdogs, ketchup, juice drinks, cereals, breads, crackers, anything already prepared and frozen that you just heat and serve, and much, much more. You might find a 100% turnaround in your child if you try to remove all sugar from his diet. Feed him only fresh fruits, fresh vegetables, meats that you cook yourself, pure cheeses - not cheese foods like velveeta or Kraft mac & cheese, and nuts - if you know he is not nut-allergic. Fruits do have some sugar in them, but the natural fructose found in fruits is metabolized better than other sugars. His TV watching should be limited. Some families find that 30 minutes is enough in a day. A bath is a great part of a bedtime routine, along with putting toys away, brushing teeth, putting on PJs... whatever you establish as part of the routine, do it daily, religiously. That helps his subconscious mind recognize "time to sleep". Cutting down on sugar and increasing activity can ensure that he stays asleep.

http://raisingcreativechildren.com/nail-biting/

frstldyhmsch
by Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 5:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Don't let him nap 

pcroc876
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Quoting frstldyhmsch:

Don't let him nap 

I agree.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN