Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

cell phones

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 3:13 PM
  • 17 Replies

ok everyone im a mom of 4, and im engaged and we just moved, we moved in with my parents in nashville, until we can get on our feet, and get moved and what not, my fiance got a job and im looking for a night time job right now he makes ok money, and we are saving to move so we are putting back what we can,my parents are being lienient about what we pay them while we are living here, and we are thinking about getting some smart phones we got offered a deal with at&t and verizon both for 2 iphone's or androids for about $165 a month for both of them right now i have a straight talk phone and he doesnt have a phone, so we are trying to figure out if this is the best thing for us, to get these phones so we will both have one and ones we like, and we dont pay anything right now, everything comes on our first bill, but we cant decide if we should pay the $100 to get him a straight talk phone and minutes or if we should do these others and try and build our credit back up and have nice phones any advice ladies? just looking for some help/advice

by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 3:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lilmama8408
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 3:16 PM
If I were you id do straight talk. You don't need smart phones. And if something happens your not stuck with a monthly plan. At least until your on your feet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thatmomof4kids
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 3:17 PM

the only thing i worry about is the fact that if something happens to one of our phones on straight talk we gotta buy a whole new phone

mommaFruFru
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 3:17 PM
Do you have cricket near you? We pay $235 for 5 lines and WiFi internet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thatmomof4kids
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 3:20 PM
yea but i heard that cricket doesnt get good service and the reason why i want a smart phone is bc i keep up with facebook and upload pics of my kids for my family to see, and then i keep up with the kids school and pto and stuff like that also
LuLuRex
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 5:18 PM

This would be my concern too.

Quoting thatmomof4kids:

the only thing i worry about is the fact that if something happens to one of our phones on straight talk we gotta buy a whole new phone

3lilmonsters88
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 5:22 PM
Straight talk. Its cheaper. Also they have a new service you can add that protects your phone from damage so you don't have to buy a whole new phone. My kid dumped my S2 in the toilet and they sent me a replacement out. Look it up.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 5:40 PM
1 mom liked this
I would not do anything till you can really afford them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dlock25
by Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 5:47 PM
This, a cellphone is not a need and if I was letting you stay in my house rent free and you went out and bought a cellphone I would see it as a slap in the face.

Quoting atlmom2:

I would not do anything till you can really afford them.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaSnaps
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 5:50 PM

On a monthly basis straight talk is a much better deal. I have the two boys on straight talk and it costs me $53 a month for two phones and unlimited everything. 

My husband and I are still on Verizon. Our phones run me nearly $200 a month and we have a limit on the GB usage of data on our phones and on our minutes-which we frequently go over. PLUS we can't tether or use the Internet on our phones to power another device if we want to. I can with the boys' straight talk phones. 

A cell phone really doesn't do anything for your credit unless you don't pay the bill-then it hurts you. To build your credit you'd be better off getting a couple hundred dollar credit card and using it to pay the grocery bill each month and then turn around and write the check to pay off the card before it accrues interest. 

funmommy123
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 5:56 PM
Dh and I have family plan with verizon. it's unlimited talk and texdt with 8gb data. Dh gets 20% discount from his job, so we pay arouund $180 a month. If you are going to do verizon, go to a best buy store to do it. Get the best buy insurance on your phones. it's $9.99 a month and is way better then getting insurance throughh verizon. With verizon you will still have to pay like $100 bucks just for them to replace a phone for you. With best buy insurance, you won't have to pay anything extra for it if something happens to your phone.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)