Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

legal question regarding hours worked

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:12 AM
  • 14 Replies
what is the minimum hours needed between shifts?
I know there exists one, but I don't know the exact number

yesterday my husband worked 14 hours( longer with the commute that he isn't supposed to have... it's not in his ' contract')

he got home at 1230 this morning and discovered a text from his friend/ boss that he broke his foot and won't be able to work today... he is supposed to open( which means being at the place at 830..... about an hour from now)

boss said he would call dh if he needed him
and that the whole schedule might change this week
I told dh to just not answer his phone or tell them flat out no.. he is supposed to have the day off

would it even be legal to have him go in this morning?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
elephantmamaof2
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:14 AM

There should be a sign posted somewhere at his work, like in the break room maybe, with the laws. It varies from state to state. Google your states labor laws, usually time between shifts is specific to minors.

lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:17 AM
2 moms liked this

You can call your states labor board they will know. if I was your dh I would go in. With the way the economy is I would do the extras to keep my job.If your husband should ever need unexpected time it will most likely be given since he would be considered a team player.

lidibolton
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:19 AM

i live in NC and i dont think there is a specific law about time between shifts. I know its just common sense, and courtesy to not have someone work back to back shifts, but even at my job they have managers come in and close which when all is said and done about 11:30pm and have to be back in for open which is being back at the store by 5:30am to prep for opening at 6am. I've worked a double shift before at previous jobs in Maryland. I just looked it up and found this
No federal law exists mandating minimum hours between work shifts. State laws provide mandatory time off for certain occupations deemed to be hazardous.

LilliesValley
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:24 AM
Depends on the job. Some professions you do have to have set hours in between, but most no. It would also depending on state laws. But I used to work fourteen hours in retained go home for eight and be right back for a ten to twelve hour shift.

His boss broke his foot so that needs to be taken into consideration. Is he hourly or salary? Hourly at least you're getting ot, salary well when his boss gets back I'd talj about some shorter shifts. Either way its a bad time to be out of work so being cooperative is a good thing.
OHgirlinCA
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:25 AM
Have him call his company's HR department.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy404204
by Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:26 AM

it really depends on the industry and company. where I currently work you can not work more than 16hrs in a 24hr period. But when I did security they did not have a limit to the amount of hrs you could work or had to have off and there were people who would work 24hrs straight.

comptonkids
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:29 AM
there is no break room
employees don't work long enough hours to get one and the managers(my dh is one) aren't given breaks either

he either doesn't eat the whole shift or he'll shovel something in real quick back in the prep room

he manages a cicis pizza

Quoting elephantmamaof2:

There should be a sign posted somewhere at his work, like in the break room maybe, with the laws. It varies from state to state. Google your states labor laws, usually time between shifts is specific to minors.

comptonkids
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:30 AM
he is salary

Quoting LilliesValley:

Depends on the job. Some professions you do have to have set hours in between, but most no. It would also depending on state laws. But I used to work fourteen hours in retained go home for eight and be right back for a ten to twelve hour shift.

His boss broke his foot so that needs to be taken into consideration. Is he hourly or salary? Hourly at least you're getting ot, salary well when his boss gets back I'd talj about some shorter shifts. Either way its a bad time to be out of work so being cooperative is a good thing.
comptonkids
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:32 AM
unfortunately shorter shifts are out of the question
I've been bugging dh to talk about that for awhile
it's just ' not the way they do things'

Quoting LilliesValley:

DakotaHaley
by Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Oh I don't know.... Here's a bump hoping you find your answer.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN