Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Need advice....quick(VERY IMPORTANT)

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:25 AM
  • 12 Replies

I accepted the job offer yesterday and put in notice at my current job. I emailed my new boss and told her. She emailed back that they need someone now but understands I need to work a notice. She said to let her know what date I can start. Should I only work a 1 week notice and tell her I can start Monday or work a whole 2 week notice? I don't want them to think I don't want the job. HELP!!

by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CreziaMommyTo2
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:28 AM

what does your work offer say?

i would give 2 weeks notice.  giving one week will show your new employer that you arent responsible or just dont care.  

but read your job offer and see what it says.

most will outline your responsibilities, hours, salary, vacation, sick time and start date

SexyTeacher
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:31 AM

I have all of that EXCEPT the start date. I get the feeling they want me to start Monday. I might need to talk t her on the phone and not just use email.

Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

i would give 2 weeks notice.  giving one week will show your new employer that you arent responsible or just dont care.  

most will outline your responsibilities, hours, salary, vacation, sick time and start date

CreziaMommyTo2
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:33 AM

that could also be a test.  she is an employer, and i am sure she would not want an employee leaving her short handed either.  i think she will respect the fact that you need to give the customary 2 weeks.

Quoting SexyTeacher:

I have all of that EXCEPT the start date. I get the feeling they want me to start Monday. I might need to talk t her on the phone and not just use email.

Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:34 AM
3 moms liked this
2 weeks is the normal amount of time when giving notice. I would e-mail the new employer and say something like "I look forward to starting with your new company and can't wait to start. I gave my 2 weeks notice to my employer and will be able to start on x date".
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PerfectVirgo
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:36 AM
Stand firm in your 2 weeks. If your new employer is worth their salt, they'll respect you a lot more for doing it. Plus, if you've already accepted, they can't back out now anyway.
rayroe2
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:38 AM
1week
LilliesValley
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:38 AM
I'd mltn do one if I thought I'd never go back to currency job again, but you know what they say, never say never.
SexyTeacher
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:39 AM

But I am not FT at my current job. I am sub, PRN, as needed etc. I am still torn!!

lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:47 AM

what did you tell current boss? how long of a notice ?  I would email new boss back with I am hoping to start in 2 weeks . Put the date down Unless its mandatory I start sooner.

SexyTeacher
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Great idea! I didn't even think about that!! DUH!! I am going to do that right now!!

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

what did you tell current boss? how long of a notice ?  I would email new boss back with I am hoping to start in 2 weeks . Put the date down Unless its mandatory I start sooner.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)