Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I can't afford goodies for daycare every month

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:31 AM
  • 35 Replies

Dec goodies for Xmas. Jan I can't remember what it was. Feb valentines. March Easter. I can't spend every month mo eh on goodies for 14 kids even if I have always shooed for healthy and affordable treats. Also, my lo is 20 months and I usually i end up throwing away the goodies bag he gets as I don't want to give hm the trash he gets ( candies, lollipops etc).

what shall I do? Shall I all to provider? If we opt out, my lo is too little to realize that he won't bring a bag home. Our provider gathers goodies and puts them in a bag that she gives to kids when they leave and since this is daycare, they all leave at different times.

any thoughts on this?

by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
leanntx
by Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:35 AM
2 moms liked this
I always get things like that at the dollar store, if I don't already have something to make at home.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LntLckrsCmQut
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:54 AM
2 moms liked this
You don't have to provide goodie bags. Just tell the director that you can't afford it and be done with it.
edieda
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this

I totally agree with the previous poster, you have to let the director know that you cannot afford those treats every month ( who made the decision to do this every month ? ) , ask if instead you can do something else like maybe volunteer some time to help out at the daycare, and it does not have to be in your child's room. There could be some other areas where you could help out. 

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Mar. 26, 2013 at 10:33 AM

I would shat myself if my daycare was giving out goodie bags all the time.

I personally wouldn't attend a school like that but I know not everyone can just change like that...

Gl mama, I would chat with them about it.

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 10:37 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree.

Could you make something like muffins? That can be super cheap, it's easy, and they can be healthy.

Quoting AM-BRAT:

I would shat myself if my daycare was giving out goodie bags all the time.

I personally wouldn't attend a school like that but I know not everyone can just change like that...

Gl mama, I would chat with them about it.

MamaSnaps
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 10:38 AM

That is part of the cost of going to daycare. Just figure it as a part of the tuition. It's only going to get FAR worse when they hit school!

MommaTasha1003
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 10:43 AM

It will only get worse when they get into school..

My DD never went to daycare or PreK.... But WOW its hit us in the face hard her Kinder year... But most is optional. Book Fairs every time you turn around, school pictures, class pictures, class parties, field trips, replinishing supplies...

Also, you dont always have to give candy.. Look for things at the $1.. Like stickers would be a great alternative maybe for daycare. Stickers are super cheap! Are you allowed to make up something yourself? Buy a BIG box of goldfish, and put then in treat bags.even the individual bags are decent price...

ballerossandra
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 10:51 AM

I have given stickers and things from dollar store but I also see I ended up wasting the money other parents spend as I throw away most of the trash they get. I don't want candy for a my son and that's what most parents provide. 

Yes, school photos etc etc, i cool with that. Junk goodies, no

Quoting MommaTasha1003:

It will only get worse when they get into school..

My DD never went to daycare or PreK.... But WOW its hit us in the face hard her Kinder year... But most is optional. Book Fairs every time you turn around, school pictures, class pictures, class parties, field trips, replinishing supplies...

Also, you dont always have to give candy.. Look for things at the $1.. Like stickers would be a great alternative maybe for daycare. Stickers are super cheap! Are you allowed to make up something yourself? Buy a BIG box of goldfish, and put then in treat bags.even the individual bags are decent price...

whoodathunk
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 12:28 PM

You can't afford $1-2 at the dollar store?  If not, talk with the manager.  I'm sure not everyone participates or your goodie bags would be huge!

kali_mom
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 12:56 PM
1 mom liked this
If its not in your budget to give Monthly goodies then don't , simple as that. If you are able to move a few things around give age appropriate Non-Food items that could be stickers, or even puzzles printed from your computer. There are so many other options over candy ESP at such a young age. They will have a life time to fill up on candy no need to start it now. Hang in there !
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured