Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

I can't afford goodies for daycare every month

Dec goodies for Xmas. Jan I can't remember what it was. Feb valentines. March Easter. I can't spend every month mo eh on goodies for 14 kids even if I have always shooed for healthy and affordable treats. Also, my lo is 20 months and I usually i end up throwing away the goodies bag he gets as I don't want to give hm the trash he gets ( candies, lollipops etc).

what shall I do? Shall I all to provider? If we opt out, my lo is too little to realize that he won't bring a bag home. Our provider gathers goodies and puts them in a bag that she gives to kids when they leave and since this is daycare, they all leave at different times.

any thoughts on this?

by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:31 AM
Replies (21-30):
MommyOK
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:36 PM

as far as I KNOW...it is NOT mandatory.....I did keep up when my boys where in 3 and 4 year old pre-k programs...but then their classes were smaller.......now I only do one or two occasions. I do feel like it's for the most part throwing money away...I'd rather not get anything than give junk too JMO

silverdawn99
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:37 PM
Tell her you just can't
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

You don't have to provide goodie bags. Just tell the director that you can't afford it and be done with it.

This

jabs54
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 3:37 PM

My kids went to a home daycare so I'm not familiar with daycare centers handing out "goody bags".  In this day and age I'm surprised they are giving candy to kids.

LoreleiSieja
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:57 PM

You can opt out of the "goodie bags" at daycare, and provide one healthy goodie treat for you lo on the ride home in the car, if you chose.  If he never notices that he doesn't get what the other kids are getting, you can point out that he gets his own special treat from you.

Some moms do NOT like to offer treats in the car, and that's fine, too. But often little ones are very hungry and a little iritable coming home from day care.  A quiet treat in the car, or a pm snack with mom once he gets home, can be a good transition. Also, it will take the "edge" off his hunger, so you can get dinner going.

Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Yes, just say no! It's okay! Be honest with your daycare provider, tons of people are on a tight budget, better to forgo treats than have to charge them or something...

CrystalDawn2506
by Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:48 PM

I would talk with someone. I tried talking to my DD's teacher that I can't afford 20+ taxes a month for snacks ( 21 students). But she kept on telling me to find someone to borrow it from because her students will go with out a snack that day. This is in kindergarten btw. The teacher is super picky about the snacks no juice drinks 100% juice in pouches. And she wants all snacks made with 100% wheat and in packs. I either have to save or borrow each month because DD is always needing something or a bill comes up etc.

whoodathunk
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:47 AM

Shop the dollar store for packages containing 8-10 items per package!  Pencils, erasers,party gifts, snacks.  Our dollartree has lots of options!  Their holiday section usually has a few choices too.  Our public school asks for products as well.  The dollar store carries all those things too!  

Quoting ballerossandra:

14 every months and that is just if you only get one thing  per person.

fyi, the provider also asks unto take toilet paper, sanitizer, etc etc.

so it all adds up

Quoting whoodathunk:

You can't afford $1-2 at the dollar store?  If not, talk with the manager.  I'm sure not everyone participates or your goodie bags would be huge!

whoodathunk
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:53 AM

Budget $1 a day.  If you sent a snack for your child each day, you'd spend that for the month.  If they're that picky about juice, I'd buy water bottles.  Our bottom dollar has 30@$2.47.  A whole box of clementine is $6.  You'd be far under the $20!

Quoting CrystalDawn2506:

I would talk with someone. I tried talking to my DD's teacher that I can't afford 20+ taxes a month for snacks ( 21 students). But she kept on telling me to find someone to borrow it from because her students will go with out a snack that day. This is in kindergarten btw. The teacher is super picky about the snacks no juice drinks 100% juice in pouches. And she wants all snacks made with 100% wheat and in packs. I either have to save or borrow each month because DD is always needing something or a bill comes up etc.

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 8:29 AM

I would tell them that you can't afford it and leave it at that.

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN