Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

My teen wants to go on road trip

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:49 PM
  • 49 Replies

My 17 year old daughter wants to take a day long road trip with her 21 year old boyfriend whom she has been seeing for several months now. He is a good guy, I've met his parents, he is military and respectful to myself and my husband. ( otherwise a 21 year old bf would be out of the question) however, it is 4 hours to the destination where he has a medical appt and then a day of sight seeing and then a 4 hour drive back. I'm a worrier by nature (extreme) and I want to say no but they are good kids, she works hard in school and its spring break  now and outside of my debilitating worry over a car wreck or something, I can offer no reason she shouldn't go. Can anyone else? Is it wrong to let her go so young? I just don't know!

by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SewingMamaLele
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:51 PM
2 moms liked this
Gotta let her grow up sometime, mama!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
beadingmom17
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:52 PM
1 mom liked this
If it's just for a day, I'd let her go. Make sure they know that it's okay to pull over for a nap if needed (don't want them driving tired) and ask her to just check in (send a quick text) every so often so you know she's okay.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AleaKat
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:54 PM
My mom letting me go 9 hours to see my bf when I was that age.
I think it's okay.
Ya gotta take a deep breath and let her go.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OliviaW.
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:59 PM
Does she have a cell? If so have her call you when she gets there and call you when they're leaving.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Barb on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:06 PM

17 and 21.  And you have allowed her to see him and you have met his family. It is a day trip.  I am leaning toward letting her go. Ask her what she wants.

MamaSnaps
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:08 PM
2 moms liked this

It depends on your daughter, but it sounds as if she's earned your trust through some great behavior and actions. I'd have to say let her go.

enlightened_24
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Let her :( I know it sucks, but she has to go. Little trips now are safer than longer ones so use this to your advantage as well!

jackiewal10
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:29 PM
1 mom liked this

The only reason I would say no, is that it sounds as though they might be spending the night there.  And I would probably not be ok with that.  I'm not naive, I realize that when my kids are 17 they will likely be sexually active and whatnot, but that doesn't mean I have to actually give them an opportunity for alone time like that.  If they are NOT spending the night, then I would let her go.  4 hours is really nothing.  I drove further than that at 18 to go away to college.  She's almost there.

ETA:  If they are not spending the night, 8 hours of driving in one day is a LOT of driving.

momtoBrenna
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 3:13 PM

I would let her go. 

kartmom67
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 3:18 PM

It IS a lot of driving. That is part of my concern. But I guess if they leave early enough and allow for relaxation while they are there, maybe it's ok. I've done it that way. Still, most of the trip is driving. Ugh..very tough deal. If it was me or my husband I wouldn't think anything of it but its my baby so ya know..sigh, all the crazies on the road. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)