Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Breastfeeding, and FF?

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:00 PM
  • 10 Replies

My son was born March 23rd, 9lbs 9oz, vaginally, I'm still sore but getting better! Anywho; I originally had no intentions of BF, just a personal choice I made. I'm starting to wonder if the choice was more of a confidence issue I had with myself or what. 

Well tonight, I got rather emotinal when talking to my husband and exclaimed I'd like to try, so I did! He's been strictly FF, I did get him to latch, and suckle for quite a bit. I *did* give him formula afterward since I'm not confident in myself that he will receive enough. I'm not sure I can switch 100% to breast, but I'd like to try and give him as best I can until I can get comfortable with myself. My husband supports whatever decision I make (which makes me feel better, he was even quite helpful as I tried figuring things out.)

Are there any tips you ladies can give? I know that the more he feeds the more supply I have, but what about latching tips/positions? I've tired to do some general research but I guess I'm looking for some tips that maybe you've tried and worked for you. I also plan to talk to my WIC nurse and get some possible tips from her as well, since I'm rather suprised with myself. Will I have issues with my supply since I did not start day one? Also, is it going to upset his stomach at all of he is getting breast milk and formula? I don't plan to mix the two, but he may get a BF session, and a FF session until I can decide what I can/want to do. 

I'm confused about what I want to do now! 

by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaSnaps
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:01 PM

There are groups here for breast feeding that will have TONS of help for you!!! 

babylove6512
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:17 PM
That is awesome that you have decided to give it a try. Even if you decide to FF, your baby has gotten so much out of each nursing session you've provided. Way to go momma!!!'n
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Zazayam
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Check out the breast feeding mom's group, those ladies know a LOT and are super helpful :)

Congrats on the new baby!

Zazayam
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:58 PM
KLittleton
by New Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 1:22 AM
Thank you! I will check it out :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SewingMamaLele
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 1:28 AM

so, he's three days old?  it's likely your milk has not even come in yet.   with nursing, the only thing you need to look for is diaper changes.  you want one per day of life until one week, and then at least 6 changes after that.   really not hard at all, it takes all the guesswork out of it!

polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 1:29 AM
On latching, be comfortable. Just sit down, or lay down in bed and move around until you're comfy.
liliem
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 2:21 PM

I just read you should feed him 6 to 8 times a day on your breast even if no milk is coming out and top him off with formula and keep doing this until he seems full enough after breastfeeding and doesn't need the formula anymore... this works if you have been bottle feeting for weeks. You might be able to produce enough right away... I like the wake/feed (one breast per session)/diaper/play/sleep schedule so that you know your feeding enough and know what the baby wants, and then giving longer or more frequent feedings if they need more (which I didn't knowto give more with my little guy but will with my next). This way they are feeding to the end so he can get the nutritious fatty hindmilk and not keep falling asleep half-fed etc.. Keep us updated... Make sure the whole areola is in his mouth. If it gets painful, it doesn't last, it gets better and then you are in heaven.. I loved breastfeeding after that point.

MrsJoe125
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 3:25 PM

I, personally, think that you're doing great to start BF-ing.

You're best of experimenting with positions to find out which ones work best for you in different situations.  The only two positions I used with all 4 of my babies were the cradle position (they lay across your lap, you cradle their head in the crook of your elbow, it's the basic usual position you'll see pics of BF-ing moms in; you might try a "cross hold" position to get him to latch on, then switch: in cross hold, you hold his head with the oposite hand of the breast you're going to feed on, and hold the breast with the same hand; once he's latched on, you can switch to cradle position and relax a little more than in cross hold).  {I think "cross hold" is the name of it, not positive though.}
The other position was "side lying", which is exactly what it sounds like, you lie on your side and the baby lies beside you and you use your hands on his head and your breast to get him latched on, then you both relax and he feeds.  I used this one when I was cosleeping (except with my first; I coslept in a sitting position on the couch with her in cradle position. <re>)

Other postions I tried were football hold: the baby's body is along the same side as you're nursing on and you support his head with the same hand; this position leaves the other side of you free to do other things.  I think I was told that position works well for larger babies, but I had NO success with it with mine (7#10oz to 8#15oz), but I'm a very small person too (5'2", tiny frame, except for the hips <re>).

Your WIC nurse will probably give you at least one pamphlet; it should include phone numbers for breastfeeding support.  I called the La Leche League once; the tops of my breasts weren't producing milk with my fourth; she said it sounded like something was pressing on the top part of my breast.  Sure enough, when I started pulling my breast out of the top of my sports bra instead of lifting the bra to let it out the bottom, the problem corrected itself.

No, you will probably not have an issue with your supply.  If you want to switch him over to 100% BF, then you're best off not giving him anymore formula (regularly) at all.  No, the combo of BF and FF should not irritate his stomach, some babies have problems, but most do not.  You're best bet for success is 1. relax; 2. don't feed him formula unless you want him to take it at the same time every day (maybe your husband wants to feed him after dinner while you're doing the dishes, for instance); 3. relax; 4. drink lots of water; 5. relax; 6. make the choice you believe is best for you and him and your family altogether; 7. relax.
I'm sure you noticed the theme.  You relax, do your best, and relax about your decision; re-evaluate as you deem necessary.

piwife
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 3:30 PM
You will have enough milk, put baby too the boob nurse on demand. Ditch the formula..... look up 101 reasons to breastfeed. By the way kudos for chabging your mind and giving your child the best :) there is no better gift then giving your baby breastmilk :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)