Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Is Five a big birthday to you moms?

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 12:39 PM
  • 6 Replies

So every year we have a birthday party for my boys' birthdays-individual ones, I mean, not a joint one. Ive celebrated every birthday for my first son, hes four, and my second will only be two this year. First birthdays are big-we have a big barbecue and lots of food but it's only family. Haha, only being tons of people because my husband has four siblings and tons of nieces and nephews, but whatever. Anyway, my oldest will be five this summer. My second, two and Im due in July, dead middle of both their birthdays, with our third. Ive been trying to figure out what to do for their birthdays (I WAS going to have a joint party at the zoo for both of them but it's right at the time Im due so thats not happening), and every time I talk about it my mother keeps saying 'Five is a big deal!' and makes it seem like combining their parties would be totally wrong. I dont really like the idea of having a joint party a month before my oldest's birthday but it's an idea. The point is, she keeps harping on this, over and over, about how big 'five' is, how thats when they start school (we homeschool, hes already halfway through with kindergarten, he literally doesnt know the difference because it's not accurate for him) and it's a milestone. Im like, seriously? It's his birthday, it's special because of that alone but it doesnt mean I have to have this HUGE party just because hes five.

My question to you moms is where do you land on this? Is five a huge thing or is it just another birthday, special in it's own right as any other birthday? (And like I said, we always have birthday parties and we always make them fun! Just not huge blowouts every year)

by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 12:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
firespurity
by Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 12:41 PM
Typically 5 is a big deal, it's a transition to a new age group and what not, but that doesn't mean it's law.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Momma2013
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 12:47 PM

5 is going to be his big birthday! He's only 7 weeks now but who cares about the 1st birthday? Baby won't even remember it, it's mostly for the adults to see the kid and bring presents. When he turns 5 we'll let him decide what he wants to do and "go all out" I know people spend several hundred dollars on the 1st birthday but I think that's stupid. He won't even remember it...

You're in a different situation, you're pregnant. You have to do what works for your family. Maybe 6 is the big year for you guys... :)

MJP76
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 12:51 PM

The only big birthdays in my book are 16, 18 and 21.

luvemboth
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 12:54 PM
I don't see 5 as being any kind of huge milestone...no bigger than any other bday. For me, the big ones are 1, 13 & 18...but that can be different from person to person. You shouldn't feel guilted into planning a certain kind of party. This is a busy time for you with the new arrival...do what you think is best.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rbailey2414
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 1:06 PM
1 mom liked this

every year is a huge deal to us ;)

Pukalani79
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 1:47 PM

To me, every birthday is a big deal :) We always go all out. That being said, we always combine my two older kids' parties - they're a week apart.  You can still have a great party even if it is combined. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN