Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Post Gallbladder removal surgery help!!! **Update**

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 8:24 PM
  • 25 Replies
I had my Gallbladder removed last Thursday. It had given me fits for over two years.
I had some complications in recovery, and the had two different allergic reactions after coming home. I finally started to feel better on Monday..had my energy bback, could eat etc.
then Monday night I became very very nauseous!
Have been getting nausea ofand on ever since. It is terrible. I am constantly nauseous. And I am so weak. I called the Dr and they said it is normal.
Can anyone who has had this surgery and had issues with the nausea..please please tell me if there is anything I can do to function again??? I'm already living on rice and mashed potatoes. I'm too afraid to eat anything else. I have three young children who need my attention and I can barely get off the couch.
can anyonehelp?

**Update**
thanks for the replies and the advice.
I ended up in the ER later the night that I posted this. I was dehydrated. They gave me and IV, anti inflammatory meds and a lot of zofran. Along with running a million tests.
something they did that night helped. I am starting to wonder if something wasn't working right due to inflammation or something..anywho..every day has been a bit better than the last. If it gets out of control then I have the zofran to help. Trying to only take it once a day.
I have had a few people tell me that it takes a good month to get over this surgery. Odd considering the Dr.s say it takes two days. I guess some people bounce back faster than others. I finally got to sleep laying down in my bed last night, and slept really well...woke up today and got a handle on the nausea without meds. Now I am praying that today is better than yesterday and the day before that.
Given the choice To go back in time and choose again....I would not have this surgery done again. It has been absolutely horrid. On the bright side..I have lost 10Lbs. I wouldn't wish this diet plan on anyone, but I guess I will take it where I can get it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 8:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jabs54
by Platinum Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 8:58 PM

I'm sorry I don't know anything about that but I hope you feel better soon!!!

edieda
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 11:06 AM
2 moms liked this

Maybe I can offer some suggestions here. I had my gallbladder and gall stones removed in 1983, this was before laser surgery, I know I was very sick before having it removed and I was taking all kinds of over the counter stuff to get rid of the heartburn and nausea. It would really flare up very badly after I would eat something very greasy. Well, I had the surgery and all went very well with it, I was able to come home and enjoy Thanksgiving Dinner with my family. First off I would suggest you try and not eat anything that may contain some fat or oil in it, you may need to just slowly adjust your diet till the nausea goes away. to help get rid of the nausea you could try and sip on ginger ale, that is very good for nausea ( try a store brand or get Canada Dry- which I think is the best ginger ale, don't gulp it down too fast, just sip on it slowly and maybe eating some crackers would help - you know just like you would if you were going through morning sickness ) You may notice even after you have had the surgery that stress, worry and even eating spicy or fried foods can bring on the symptoms, so you will definitely have to watch that and possibly eliminate eating anything fried or spicy for the rest of your life. Getting enough rest is also helpful too,Since you didn't mention the children's father, is he able to help with the children while you get some much needed rest.  Now I will also say this, I never had to deal with the nausea after the surgery, but I think if you tried the ginger ale , that may help get rid of that feeling and also try and eat light for the next few days or so, nothing greasy or spicy. If your symptoms continue, you need to contact your doctor and let him or her know that the nausea has not gone away. Eventually you will get your strength back. Please keep in touch and let me know how things turn out for you, it is very seldom I come across anyone online that has been through this and I am interested in finding out how you are doing . Take care and I do hope you feel better soon.

marisab
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 1:21 PM

BUMP!

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 1:52 PM
My SIL just said it was a piece of cake compared to her C sections. She had the through the belly button surgery and was feeling good in a few days. Why didn't they give you some anti nausea meds???
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ayshren
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 2:15 PM
2 moms liked this
You need to ask your doctor to give you some Zofran or Phenegren.
mom23littleones
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Wish I could!  Never had that problem!  I would call the dr again!  Good luck!  hugging

Rae706
by Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 2:36 PM

DH just had this surgery and the constant nausea doesn't sound normal at all. I'd try calling the doctor again and making clear that this is not normal and you can't keep anything down. Maybe you just called the office too soon after your surgery, some nausea is normal, but I wouldn't think this much would still be normal.

la_bella_vita
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 5:53 PM
I've never had this surgery but I hope you feel better soon!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
zacmacsmomm
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Phenagren or Zofran, ask your doc about those. 

nicoleg806
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 10:03 AM

I had complications with gall bladder surgery and have had them for 14 years just learned to live with it. But its  much diff then what your symptoms are. I am so sorry and I hope things get better. If not soon ask for nausea meds....nausea has to be one of the most horrible feelings

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)