Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

more income, higher rent

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 2:21 AM
  • 20 Replies
I've been homeless for over 3 years, almost 4. We recently received housing, with my mom who is on disability. So we will all be living under the same house, no problem I can live with that. But she doesn't want me to work because our housing rent will go up, I don't want to work a lot of hours 15 at most. She just wants me to go to school. I would like to do both. Problem is if I work our rent will go up by $30 -$100. I honestly don't have an issue paying for that portion of the rent if she's that worried. But when I bring it up she freaks out. I will be going to school for fashion design but that could take two to three years for me to finish even when I'm not working. How would you handle it? I want money that isn't coming from TANF, I want to feel like I earned ever dollar. I really like working too. And I have gone to school and worked,just not while being a mother.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 2:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 2:37 AM

That would frustrate me.  I would try to find housing we could afford that was not income controlled if we were in that situation so that if i did find a job or went to school and recieved grant funding, rent would stay the same regardless.

Bookoholic
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 2:43 AM
Problem is neither of us would be able to do that, rent where we live for two/ three bedroom apt rents between $1000-1300 monthly that's just the rent that doesn't include electricity or any other nessicisties (sp). While I would love to its not realistic. That's part of why we are homeless.

Quoting frndlyfn:

That would frustrate me.  I would try to find housing we could afford that was not income controlled if we were in that situation so that if i did find a job or went to school and recieved grant funding, rent would stay the same regardless.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
emmy526
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 6:31 AM

Sounds like mom is projecting irrational emotional fears onto you...YOU know that you can pay the extra, so go ahead, get yourself a job, it can only help in the long run.  You need to do what is right to provide a future for you and your kids, and staying home cuz mommy is afraid rent will go up is about the silliest thing a woman/mother can do.  THink of your future, and think of your kids for the future, and what you want them to have--or not have.  Don't say anthing more to mom about getting a job, just go do it.  Then deal with paying more rent, and assuring her you are doing whats right for you and your family's future. 

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Mar. 28, 2013 at 8:46 AM

I think it is great that you are willing to pay some of the rent, and you should be able to work if you want to.

SexyTeacher
by Gold Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Quoting emmy526:

Sounds like mom is projecting irrational emotional fears onto you...YOU know that you can pay the extra, so go ahead, get yourself a job, it can only help in the long run.  You need to do what is right to provide a future for you and your kids, and staying home cuz mommy is afraid rent will go up is about the silliest thing a woman/mother can do.  THink of your future, and think of your kids for the future, and what you want them to have--or not have.  Don't say anthing more to mom about getting a job, just go do it.  Then deal with paying more rent, and assuring her you are doing whats right for you and your family's future. 

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 8:57 AM
2 moms liked this
Wow, that is a terrible reason to not work. Your mother is nuts. Who cares if it goes up. It is ripping off the govt to just attempt to not work for cheaper rent and you can work. This is why people stay on FS and don't wanna better themselves.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Randi02
by Platinum Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:11 AM
3 moms liked this

This blows my mind...

You obviously have children, since this is Cafemom... and you're only wanting to work 15 hours a week?! You were HOMELESS!!! You are receiving assistance right now, but that is not meant to be something you stay on forever.

If I were you, I would get AT LEAST 1 job to support my family - and I would go to school for something more lucrative than fashion design. Maybe take some accounting courses etc. so you can find a higher paying job in the mean time.

MJP76
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 11:35 AM

This. I've been on my own since I was 16. Homeless for a short period of time when I was 18. I always did what I had to do to survive back then with zero assistance. Go out and get a a J-O-B.

Quoting atlmom2:

Wow, that is a terrible reason to not work. Your mother is nuts. Who cares if it goes up. It is ripping off the govt to just attempt to not work for cheaper rent and you can work. This is why people stay on FS and don't wanna better themselves.

stargazerwolf
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 11:53 AM

I would just go get a job. That is not much for your rent to go up if you work even part time, $30-$100 a month higher is barely anything even if you only make $200/week. I don't see any reason to not get a job. I think it is great that you want to work and go to school. You can have an income and learn about something you have a passion for and eventually can make good money doing. I assume you have a passion for fashion design if that is what you are going for, don't let anyone tell you to go for something other than what you are passionate about.

Your mom can't tell you you can't work, it makes sense to bring in extra income since rent barely goes up anyway, then eventually you can make enough to move out on your own even if it is a couple of years or whatever but there is no reason to not work. How many kids do you have?

ashley9603
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 12:04 PM

If you qre homeless I would definetly work.I wouldnt say anything to your mom....get a job and pay the extra and who knows with you going to school,you can always get promotions/raises etc,to make enough to get your own place.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN