Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Screeching twins...what are you thoughts? PLEASE

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 6:02 AM
  • 11 Replies

Hello Ladies, My twin girls are just shy of 15 months. How do I teach them not to  screech when they want something? When it happens like say when they are in their high chairs and they want more food. I tell them please or no screaming., or speak and say do you want more peaches, crackers etc. I know if I keep responding to these screechings i am teaching them to continue to do it , 

by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 6:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emmy526
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 6:27 AM

how about teaching them to 'sign' instead?

JoeMax
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 7:55 AM
When my youngest went through this stage, I didn't give a verbal response at all. I would calmly stand, and turn his highchair away from the table. When he had quieted down I would ask if he wanted more while pointing to his tray. It took a few times for him to understand, but eventually he figured out screaming didn't get him what he wanted. He actually started pointing at his tray instead and I knew he wanted more.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 8:20 AM
They probably feed off of each other. One screeches so the other does. It will get better once they talk more.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Mar. 28, 2013 at 8:40 AM

We actually had to stop going out to eat with my daughter at this age. She would yell very loudly, for no reason. 
So after she turned 2, we could go back.
Nothing we did helped, or stopped her.
She was just testing out her vocal abilities. 

Donna273109
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Never thought of that. I will look it up. Thanks

Donna273109
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Well one did start it then the other followed.

yperez0209
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Perhaps you can hire a speech therapist. Most insurance companies will cover the cost, you will have to pay your copay. You can also have them evaluated for speech services by the early intervention system. It is free and the therapist will come to your house for the sessions.

I have twin boys and they had issues with there speech. I contacted early intervention when they were about that age and they qualified for benefits. They had a speech lady and a teacher helping them. By the time they were 3, they were right on point and did not require anymore help.

I advised this to you because it is common for twins to struggle communicating more so than single children because they are listening to each other all the time. Your girls are making these noises because they can't communicate any other way. By having someone help you they will teach you and them better ways to get whatever point across.

LilliesValley
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 8:52 AM
We did baby signs with dd and it was awesome! They can think more but can't always say it, so the significant really helped. We plan to do it with the baby I'm currently pregnant with too.

Quoting emmy526:

how about teaching them to 'sign' instead?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Donna273109
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 12:33 PM

I looked it up and it looks like you may be right. I am calling someone today. Thanks.

Bleacheddecay
by Gold Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Teach them baby sign language.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)