Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

child wont talk yet??

Posted by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:19 PM
  • 25 Replies
My 18 month old daughter says a few words like "hi, apple, up" and thats it. Anyone elses child talklate. When did ur child start speaking? ??? Is it normal?
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CampClan
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:47 PM

IS she an only child? And does she have interaction with other kids her age who may have already started talking?

I ask because I have a soon to be 4yo who has a best friend that he has known since pretty much birth. The friend's mom was upset because my DS was crawling or babbling before her DS. Well my DS also has 4 older siblings & the friend is an only child. Every child is different! 

emarin77
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 1:06 PM

I would worry if your child cannot communicate clearly by the age of 3years.

P11nkP0w3r4ng3r
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 1:10 PM
She is a only child. She was in daycare but took her out. And she doesnt have interaction with other kids. But if there are other kids at the park she plays with them. All she does is screams at them and smiles. But no talking yet. She can pick out the first a b c in the alphabet in order. And I use flash cards n try to get her to talk.
spunky946
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 1:13 PM

I think by 2 they are supposed to have 50 plus words, so I'd give it another 6 months.

karenax
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 7:49 AM
2 moms liked this

My granddaughter doesn't talk either. She is 16 months and just took her first steps but rarely does. She has an early intervention therapist that comes once a week because she was delayed in all her milestones. They seem to start early intervention earlier and earlier. My olderst son was at 3 and my youngest was 2 with theirs.  If your concerned, talk to her doctor she could help you with early intervention if needed.

Mamamanic
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:36 PM

My dd was kinda late talking. She was just observing others speach. I would catch her playing and talking when she thought no one was looking. I figure she was waiting to get it right before showing off her new skills. 6 now and she is still a perfectionist, my goodness it was hard to get her to write because she would get upset if it was not perfect like the picture. If they are saying words incorectly , you can place your mouth on their hand and say the word. Some how feeling the word allows them to pronounce it better. It almost instantly helps also. Some sounds are typical for different age groups. 

HuggaBug1991
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 1:07 PM

My son is 22monts and he just says a few words too; not to worried about him though, he understands just about everything he is told (turn tv on, take dirty clothes to the laundry room, etc). Every baby is different and some develop faster/slower then others.... Chin up momma! ^_^ she will talk when she is ready!

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 3:04 PM

I would talk to her doctor about any concerns and worse comes to worse get her evaluated with a speech professional to see what they think.   Look into story time at the library for more interaction as well with other children and another adult reading books.   It is very important at this age to expose her to as much written and spoken language as you can.   Flash cards are just for fun at this age as well they do not need to know their abcs until closer to 3 or 4.

TexanMomOf6
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 10:28 PM

My grandson didn't speak much until he was almost 3.  Now he's 7 and doesn't stop talking. He is in G&T classes. 

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just make sure you are using your complete vocabulary in your normal voice. Use a running narration such as.... Let's get your red shiney shoes. Put your left shoe on your left foot! There! Now lets close the velcro. How's that? Good. Hand me the right shoe. Thank you. Let's straighten your sock before we put your shoe on so it doesn't crinkle up and make a sore on your foot.

She may not have a lot to say, but she will understand what you are saying. 

P11nkP0w3r4ng3r
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 11:41 PM
Thanks ladies, im in the process of trying to afford medical once again. So I cant talk to doctors. Im going to keep working with her. She is getting tubes in her ears aswell.she is parshally def from her ear drumbs erupting, but her previous doctor said she can still hear. So thanks for the feed back :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN