Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Help me with eggs!

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:50 PM
  • 14 Replies

OK, I have several egg related problems... And of course I wait until 10pm on easter-eve to figure them out.

1- I fail so hard at boiling eggs. They're either never done, or impossible to peel.. I'm really, really bad at it. HOW do you do it the right way?

2- I'm told you can make hard boiled eggs in the oven. How?

3- If I want to dye the egg itself, not the shell, for like deviled eggs or something.. How do I do this? I have food coloring... I want to do this.

by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
A.J.s_mommy
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Not sure. Bump!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mlb456
by Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:53 PM
I always had the same problem with boiling the eggs this year i boiled the water til it had a the little bubbles at the bottom n sides of the pot n put the eggs in waited 10mins n cut the stove off n waited a lil while for them to cool n then i drained them.. the coloring of the egg itself i have no idea never thought of that
Zazayam
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:55 PM

That's what I just tried with this batch, we colored the shells on them so I have no idea how well they turned out lol. Hoping for the best!

Quoting mlb456:

I always had the same problem with boiling the eggs this year i boiled the water til it had a the little bubbles at the bottom n sides of the pot n put the eggs in waited 10mins n cut the stove off n waited a lil while for them to cool n then i drained them.. the coloring of the egg itself i have no idea never thought of that

butterflycircle
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I boil eggs... put eggs in water and boil. Once they start to boil I time them about 15 mins (my grandma did it for 11ish mins, I don't see a difference in the eggs). Once they are done I dump the hot water and put them in cold water. The eggs make the water warm so I dump it and add cold again. I do it one more time too (you could just do it the one original time if you use ice water). Then peel. the going from hot to cold like that should help the eggs peel easier : )

idk about your other questions. I would google it : )

Good luck : )

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Not sure how you can fail at making eggs unless you burn water LOL  ....... I think there is a post in newcomers on how to dye the egg itself.  

http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/breakfast/egg-breakfast/colored-deviled-eggs.html

Colored deviled eggs

Colored deviled eggs Recipe

Ingredients

YOU CAN USE ANY FOOD DYE TO DYE
THESE EGGS PAAS NEON DYE IS WHAT IS
USED IN THE PICTURE. WILTON ICING
COLORS OR CONCENTRATED GELS WORK
GREAT BUT USE SPARINGLY. IF YOU
WANT A MORE PASTEL COLOR. AND USE
BOLILING WATER INSTEAD OF COLD
WATER
10 lghard boiled eggs
3 dash(es)food coloring
1 ccold water
1 tspvinegar for each color you are using
1/2 cmayonnaise or miracle whip or half of each

Debra Taylor
    Lightly Salted
    Slc, UT (Pop. 186,440)
    sizzlinsweet
    Member Since Nov 2011
    Debra's Notes:

Here is a fun way to include deviled eggs, another Easter tradition, on your Easter menu.
    If your concerned that the eggs will taste like vinegar, no need to worry the eggs will have about the same taste of vinegar as you would if you had dyed them in their shell.

Directions

If you are trying to do the pastel shown in the picture you don't want to leave them in the dye for very long. Because the egg is very porous, they will take the dye very quickly!!! Give them a quick dunk in the water and very quickly pull them out to see if it is the color you want. Don't let them soak for long!!!!!
     Remove the shells from the hard boiled eggs and slice each egg in half
     Remove the yolks from the egg halves and place in a bowl. Set the yolks aside.
     Get enough glasses or mugs for the number of colors you want to use. Fill the mugs or glasses 2/3 of the way full with cold water.
     Add 3 drops of desired food coloring along with 1 tsp vinegar to each mug or cup.
     Place egg whites in the mugs and allow to sit in the food coloring until desired color is reached. I could fit 3 egg whites in each of my mugs at a tim
     Remove whites from dye and drain on a plate lined with a couple of paper towels.
     Take the reserved yolks and mash them with a fork. Then mix in the 1/2 cup mayonnaise with the mashed yolk.
     Pipe or spoon the yolk mix into the colored egg whites.
    mlb456
    by Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:59 PM
    1 mom liked this
    Well G.L n if you wanted to double eggs with color i just thought of when your mixing the mayo n mustard in with the yolk just add a couple drops of food coloring maybe

Quoting Zazayam:

That's what I just tried with this batch, we colored the shells on them so I have no idea how well they turned out lol. Hoping for the best!

Quoting mlb456:

jackiewal10
    by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 10:02 PM
    1 mom liked this

Put all the eggs you want to boil in a pot.  Cover them with water so that there is at least an inch, preferably 2 inches, above them.  Bring the covered pot to a boil.  Once the pot is boiling, turn the water off and let the eggs sit in the water (covered) for 10 minutes.  Then put the pot in the sink and run cold water over them for a few minutes. Perfect eggs every time.

You can also bake them at 325 for 25-30 minutes.  This does sometimes cause little brown spots on the shell.  Nothings wrong with that, but just so you know.

As for the colored eggs... ewww.  LOL  I wouldn't do that, even if I knew how.

Lindalou907
    by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 10:13 PM

You are going to love me! Add a couple of tablespoons of vegetable oil to your water when you boil the eggs. The shells will peel off much more easily, and it doesn't affect the taste at all.

Zazayam
    by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 10:18 PM

You know, I'm a great cook. I really don't understand why I can't make some simple eggs.. I always mess up grilled cheese sandwiches and fried eggs too. It's pretty sad, huh.

Thanks!

Quoting frndlyfn:

Not sure how you can fail at making eggs unless you burn water LOL  ....... I think there is a post in newcomers on how to dye the egg itself.  

http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/breakfast/egg-breakfast/colored-deviled-eggs.html

Colored deviled eggs

Colored deviled eggs Recipe

Ingredients

YOU CAN USE ANY FOOD DYE TO DYE
    THESE EGGS PAAS NEON DYE IS WHAT IS
    USED IN THE PICTURE. WILTON ICING
    COLORS OR CONCENTRATED GELS WORK
    GREAT BUT USE SPARINGLY. IF YOU
    WANT A MORE PASTEL COLOR. AND USE
    BOLILING WATER INSTEAD OF COLD
    WATER
    10 lghard boiled eggs
    3 dash(es)food coloring
    1 ccold water
    1 tspvinegar for each color you are using
    1/2 cmayonnaise or miracle whip or half of each

Debra Taylor
      Lightly Salted
      Slc, UT (Pop. 186,440)
      sizzlinsweet
      Member Since Nov 2011

Debra's Notes:

Here is a fun way to include deviled eggs, another Easter tradition, on your Easter menu.
      If your concerned that the eggs will taste like vinegar, no need to worry the eggs will have about the same taste of vinegar as you would if you had dyed them in their shell.

Directions

If you are trying to do the pastel shown in the picture you don't want to leave them in the dye for very long. Because the egg is very porous, they will take the dye very quickly!!! Give them a quick dunk in the water and very quickly pull them out to see if it is the color you want. Don't let them soak for long!!!!!
       Remove the shells from the hard boiled eggs and slice each egg in half
       Remove the yolks from the egg halves and place in a bowl. Set the yolks aside.
       Get enough glasses or mugs for the number of colors you want to use. Fill the mugs or glasses 2/3 of the way full with cold water.
       Add 3 drops of desired food coloring along with 1 tsp vinegar to each mug or cup.
       Place egg whites in the mugs and allow to sit in the food coloring until desired color is reached. I could fit 3 egg whites in each of my mugs at a tim
       Remove whites from dye and drain on a plate lined with a couple of paper towels.
       Take the reserved yolks and mash them with a fork. Then mix in the 1/2 cup mayonnaise with the mashed yolk.
       Pipe or spoon the yolk mix into the colored egg whites.

Zazayam
      by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Thanks, will try it!

Quoting Lindalou907:

You are going to love me! Add a couple of tablespoons of vegetable oil to your water when you boil the eggs. The shells will peel off much more easily, and it doesn't affect the taste at all.

Add your quick reply below:
      You must be a member to reply to this post.
      Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
      Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
      other members!
      Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN