Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

No cry sleep training???

Posted by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 9:18 PM
  • 12 Replies

My 9 month old has always been a great sleeper. He slept 8 hours at 3 weeks old and now generally sleeps 12. He got a cold 2 months ago, and started crawling this week, and we had to rock and cuddle him to get him to sleep. Now for every nap and his night time routine he cries and screams. I can hold him and rock him to sleep and he cries until he's asleep. If I try to lay him in his crib, he screams and rolls around. If I get him to sleep in my arms once I lay him in his crib he wakes up and cries.

I have thought about doing the whole lay him down awake, pick him up if he cries, and lay him down when he's calm. But I can't clam him down until he's asleep and then I lay him down and he cries. This goes on for 3 hours until finally he stays asleep when we lay him down.

I'm not sure what to do, but I hate seeing him cry. I'd like to get him on a routine for the whole day, until  he got sick he had a routine that he stuck to. Now he goes about 5 hours before I can get him to nap, which would be fine if he slept enough, but his nap is only lasting 20-30 mins. He looks so tired all day.

What did you do? How did you get your baby in a routine at this age?

Thanks in advance.

by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 9:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sleepymommy87
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 9:21 PM
Idk, we bedshared from birth and still do at 14 months. We all sleep beautifully lol good luck!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Mar. 31, 2013 at 9:41 PM
We just co sleep through things of this nature. We all get sleep! Good luck.
piwife
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:06 PM
I have 3 kids and I just bedshare with them... and I sleep great.( I don't bedshare with all of them at the same time lol) but you know what I mean
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amberbamber0213
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:15 PM

my DD was like that and i got so tired and wore out one night i just couldnt take it. i laid her in her crib and shut the door. she cried like 10 min and then went to sleep. next night cried 5 min and then went to sleep. night after that whined for about 2 min then went to sleep. next night went to bed on her own. i lay her down at 8pm on the dot every day. and she wakes up at 8 sharp. and she has a nap at 12. she is so use to the schedule she now will bring me her blanket and doll and go upstairs on her own to go to sleep. NO LIE. a schedule you stick to will help. and i know the cry it out seems harsh, but in a week tops he will be going to sleep just fine. just let him sleep with his bottle. 

Bookwormy
by Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:50 AM
1 mom liked this
If you don't want any crying, read the No Cry Sleep Solution. If you are open to some crying without abandoning your baby, I recommend the DVD or book (DVD is short & easier for sleepless parents!) SleepEasy Solution.
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Apr. 1, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Nine months is a very typical age for sleep regression. It's usually due to teething, hitting new milestones and growth spurts. It won't last. Any chance you would cosleep until it passes?

marisab
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 1:21 PM

we cosleeped til a year

la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 1:26 PM

You could co-sleep or keep a crib next to your bed. Side-car the crib.

beachlove512
by Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 1:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm going through the same thing. DS has never been great at napping but he used to sleep pretty well throughout the night when we co-slept. A few months ago he got a cold and things have never been the same. He wakes frequently and only naps for 30 minutes. We've tried CIO, putting the crib in our room, patting, rocking, shushing, but nothing works. I don't have any advice, sorry but I thought I'd let you know you're not alone.

LindaClement
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:42 PM

What I did was learn about sleep research, and normal sleep in real humans.

Turns out that humans don't sleep 'through the night' even if they think they are. Everyone wakes up enough at the end of each sleep cycle (between 45 and 90 minutess) to scan their body and their environment for anything amiss, and then either deals with it or falls back to sleep without remembering waking at all. (Insomniacs, on the other hand, remember being awake but not asleep, and will even argue with the researchers while watching footage of themselves clearly completely asleep.)

Also, babies have no knowledge or experience of windows and locks, only instincts, and they know instinctively that without their mother they're in grave danger --so they call out to be rescued from the danger.

Yes, you can train your baby to stop crying out. You can even train a baby to stop crying out in pain and starvation, if you're diligent.

What you can't do is stop them from being instinctively terrified of being alone in the dark, or of being hungry, thirsty, in pain or lonely in the night.

When sleep researchers stopped asking parents for reports and started actually recording what was happening in the night, they discovered not only alert and awake silent babies in distress, but also babies screaming and crying for hours while parents slept peacefully in the utterly-convinced knowledge that their babies did not need them, really, while they were sleeping --the same way people in flight paths learn to stay asleep in that extreme noise.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)