Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

plz help, advise needed. at my wits end

Posted by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 9:50 PM
  • 9 Replies
So I'm staying with my mil for two weeks. I have my two year old with me. At home he sleeps in his own bed. Here, I know its a different environment but I try to get him to sleep in his actual mattress on floor he he screams, any other bed, he screams. Now if my mil goes in there with him and sleeps with him its fine. I'm sick of this shit. I'm not going through another two months of sleep training him again so he is not going to sleep with me. Idk if him sleeping with mil will screw things up either.

I don't know what to do, I'm at my wits ends and it hasn't even been a week. My husband isn't here bc he has to work so that makes things ten times worse bc he usually tucked our son in for bed. I feel like screaming, crying, all of the above. What do I do??!!! His schedule is so screwed up just bc he wont sleep in his bed.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 9:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
emmy526
by Gold Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Let grandma go to sleep with him, and enjoy the peace and quiet--seriously....a break in the routine at this point won't hurt anything, if nothing is actually being learned about bedtime anyways due to disruptions in the routine...and if this is a normal thing,  then just get him used to two different sleeping locations...it can be done- i did it with three kids...another idea is for you to lay down with him til he goes to sleep there.  Obviously sleeping in strange quarters, even ones that are familiar, can bring about new problems that weren't there before. Especially with fickle two year old, who like routine, and dependability.  

katiebeth1821
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:57 PM

First if you drink have a beer or a glass of wine relax. This can be very hard to do I just went through this with my TWO children. I put a mattress on the floor of my bedroom and let them sleep down there for a week i had to sleep with them then i moved to my bed then I moved them to there room.

It sounds like you are going to have to adjust his schedule to fit what he needs which makes it harder for you but it will be worth it when things get back to normal. Remember they are fine and all they need to know is they r fine. I always tell mine you are safe you are loved and I have a room and you have a room and thats ok you are safe in this house . something like that anyways I know it can get really stressful all I can say is good luck and hold in there it will get better

marisab
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 1:11 PM

not sure why ur staying there but the change is gonna mess with him any way and u well hacve to retrain a sit is

la_bella_vita
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 1:24 PM

No advice but that sounds frustrating. I'm pretty outspoken and would just tell her to stop.

LindaClement
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:05 PM
1 mom liked this

It would be simpler if you recognized that your 2yo is feeling insecure in the new location, and give in to helping him feel secure.

Sleep training is unnecessary. When a child's needs are met, they sleep normally. When their needs are unmet, they have real problems that cause physical and emotional harm.

So, instead of thinking about nothing but the location of his sleep, consider it from 'getting needs met' --what works the best for getting everyone's needs met? Rather than 'what some total stranger thinks might happen if...'

Mommytoaangel
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:14 PM
Hugs a little disruption wont hurt just relax an take it day by day
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
klee001
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:15 PM

let it go...this will happen, and he's too young to understand, it'll just be easier on you to roll with it and start over when you get back---not worth the headache

true-love-21
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 6:25 PM
So your suggesting I sleep with him? I am currently pregnant so that's kinda hard to do since I have a hard time falling asleep and toss and turn.

Quoting LindaClement:

It would be simpler if you recognized that your 2yo is feeling insecure in the new location, and give in to helping him feel secure.

Sleep training is unnecessary. When a child's needs are met, they sleep normally. When their needs are unmet, they have real problems that cause physical and emotional harm.

So, instead of thinking about nothing but the location of his sleep, consider it from 'getting needs met' --what works the best for getting everyone's needs met? Rather than 'what some total stranger thinks might happen if...'

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 6:29 PM

I suggest you come up with a way of meeting his needs. If the only way you can think of is to sleep with him, then yes. You could also stay in the room with him until he wakes up in the morning, so he knows you're there, or have him sleep on you if he falls asleep before you go to bed, and then take him with you when you do, putting him next to you or beside your bed...

Your tossing and turning is unlikely to be a problem for him, since he'll know -even while he's sleeping- that you're right there.

Quoting true-love-21:

So your suggesting I sleep with him? I am currently pregnant so that's kinda hard to do since I have a hard time falling asleep and toss and turn.

Quoting LindaClement:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)