Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

is this normal for a 5 yr old?!

Posted by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 9:54 PM
  • 12 Replies

My 5 yr old daughter pretty much touches herself inappropriately (outside of her clothes) and I don't know how to get her to stop. She's been doing this since she was 2 or 3 and she just won't stop. I don't know if it's itchy or what, but I don't know what to do about it. Have any of you ladies had to deal with this from your own daughters? How did you handle it? 

by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 9:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
crwspringer
by Silver Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:02 PM
My 6yr old does it under her pants. It drives me nuts. I am constantly making her go wash her hands.

I have had several talks with her about germs and nothing seems to help. I even tell her to do it over her clothes when she is in private if she must "itch" down there.

Her doc says it is common and she will grow out of it. It doesn't change the fact that I still hate it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kass_427
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:05 PM

I find it very embarassing and quite inappropriate to be doing that at such a young age. It drives my MIL crazy too. 

ali840
by Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:11 PM
It's not uncommon and it is understandable, but it is not acceptable. Just keep telling her to stop EVERY time you see her. Good for you for trying to do something about it. I had a good friend who's daughter did that and I said something about it one time and he said "I just let her do it, I don't want her to be embarrassed or ashamed." I couldn't believe it! It's not about being embarrassed, it's about being modest!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emmy526
by Silver Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:26 PM

maybe teach her that is something she can do in her room?  explain other people don't like to see it, and it's not appropriate behavior in front of others.  If you keep calling her out on it every time you catch her doing it, and send her to her room, maybe it will lose it's appeal...altho at this point, maybe it's more of a habit, and making her aware of how much/often she is using this self soothe technique, and again, re-direct her to her room if she wants to do that.  Act matter of fact about it, not emotional or angry, or  belittleing--calm and collected, quielty let her know where she can go to 'relieve' her frustration.  Another idea is to get her a 'worry stone' instead-something she can keep in her pocket, and rub when feeling stressed.  

momtoBrenna
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:55 PM
1 mom liked this

This, it is perfectly normal but he needs to know to do so in the privacy of her room. 

Quoting emmy526:

maybe teach her that is something she can do in her room?  explain other people don't like to see it, and it's not appropriate behavior in front of others.  If you keep calling her out on it every time you catch her doing it, and send her to her room, maybe it will lose it's appeal...altho at this point, maybe it's more of a habit, and making her aware of how much/often she is using this self soothe technique, and again, re-direct her to her room if she wants to do that.  Act matter of fact about it, not emotional or angry, or  belittleing--calm and collected, quielty let her know where she can go to 'relieve' her frustration.  Another idea is to get her a 'worry stone' instead-something she can keep in her pocket, and rub when feeling stressed.  

AquariusFemale9
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 2:07 PM

I did the same thing when I was little because it "felt good." She might be experimenting with that but I don't know for sure. Before I knew what it was, I use to cross my legs very tightly because it put pressure on my clitoris and felt good.

MJP76
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 2:51 PM

I always just told my kids that needed to be done in privacy. Not out in the open where everyone could see. It's completely normal.

WillsMOM72
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 2:54 PM
Yes, my 5yr old son does this. He tells me his stuff is sticking together lol. I try to discourage it in public.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
meepsm0m2006
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:42 AM
My 6 yr does it too .. I tell her to go to her room, others do not want to see it ..
dee1603
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:44 AM
Dd (5) has been inappropriately I touching herself since she was about 20m old. I've been fighting her with it for a long time. I have finally made her an appt for a counselor. I think there may be issues at her dads house. :/ We go tomorrow
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)