Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Need help please!! CS question.

Posted by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 11:55 PM
  • 29 Replies
1 mom liked this
BM asked DF if he could write a letter stating that he wanted the rears n intrest to stop n just get the current mount because they took her license. He hasnt got hardly any child suport at all for her in the last 13yrs. She told him he wouldnt see the rears anyways. SS is almost 18 yrs old. Does anyone know if thats true or not. Or where he can find out. We live in another state than her. He doesnt know what he should do cuz he hates her n has made our life a living hell n now she wants him to do her a favor. He wanted me to ask u all here cuz im always on here. Thank you!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 11:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SexyTeacher
by Gold Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 12:20 AM

CS doesn't stop just because a child turns 18. In most states the CS stops when the child graduates high school. In some states CS continues until the age of 21 if the child is in college full time. It is VERY possible that he would see the arrears & interest if he decides to pursue it. Since he has gotten very little over the years it might more of a hassle than it is worth.

opal10161973
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 12:26 AM
2 moms liked this

Arrears is often still payable until the person who owes it dies.  I have seen cases where the NCP owes for years after the child has turned 18.

lonlynstresdmom
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 12:38 AM
Thank you for your rely! He has never really had to delt with the cs he didnt ever think she would pay it. The only time he got anything from the courts was when she went to jail n they stopped cs for a few months or when she wanted to modify it but never finished her side of the paper work. He hates talkin to her. He asked me why should he help her after all the stuff she has done to him n ss n our family.
polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 1:23 AM
Child support arrears never go away. The balance will stop increasing at age 18 if that's how the court set it up originally. In some cases it goes past that age depending on how it was set up in the courts originally. Check the website of whatever state the cs was set up in. My cs case is ny and I get all my information from the ny.gov sites. It takes a while to sit there and read through all the info and link clicking, but it's definitely time well spent. It also helps to go back and read the papers from when cs was set up. When your man (fiancé? Idk what do stands for) left court after cs was set up they gave him papers or mailed them with the info of how much he is entitled to and how frequently. 100 bucks a month until the child turns 18 for example. If he doesn't have those papers anymore he can go back to where he went to court and get new copies. If you've moved out of state, a phone call to the office of records will tell him how to get them.
lonlynstresdmom
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 1:57 AM
1 mom liked this
Thank you!!! We didnt even know you could write a letter stating that u wanted the arrears to stop n just have the current payments. Her license is being held cuz of the arrears n she cant drive now. I will let him know to go to Ca. cs site. I appericate ur info. n time
Christine0813
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:19 AM

Doesn't matter when she turns 18. If she still owes, she will still pay. Child support in some cases will continue after 18, if it is in the divorce decree.

lonlynstresdmom
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:53 AM
He never married her. We thought it was kinda funny that she would even ask him to write a letter for her after everythin that her has done over the past 13 yrs. DF keeps sayin why should he. Im glad i asked u all here cuz we know lil bout CS.Thank you
Aslen
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:54 AM
1 mom liked this

he needs to contact his local CS office. They know the laws best for his state.

And yes he WOULD see the arrears. At least in GA he would, even AFTER the child turns 18, because the $$ was owed before he became an adult

Vcoskey
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:01 AM
2 moms liked this
Agreed. My attorney told me "they'll go after him for what he owes until it's paid, regardless of your daughter's age.chances are, you'll be using child support to buy gifts for your grand babies someday!" :)

I wouldn't let her off the hook so easily. All parents should pay to support their children - period. No license? Good - she can take the bus. Suddenly all money that would have been spent on a car payment, insurance and gasoline will be available for arrears, now won't it? ;)

Quoting opal10161973:

Arrears is often still payable until the person who owes it dies.  I have seen cases where the NCP owes for years after the child has turned 18.

JZB
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:04 AM
1 mom liked this
Don't let him write the letter, she needs to pay her what is due
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)