Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Big Schools vs Small Schools

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 8:42 PM
  • 28 Replies
If you had the choice between sending your kids to a large public school (several hundred students per grade), or a smaller public school (about one hundred students per grade), which would you pick? Reasons?
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 8:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MsRkg
by Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Small always. It has proven time and time again that a smaller class size to teacher ratio the better the child will do. My son is in a private school and his class size is 13:1. They will never put more than 14 in a class ever. The more one on one time the child can get with the teacher the better and that's easier to do when you don't have 30 something students per class.

jillbailey26
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 8:44 PM

It would depend on which school is rated higher.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

poshkat
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 8:50 PM
Smaller. I went to a small high school and both my sisters went to large ones. They seemed lost in the crowds. My high school had less than 100 people in the graduating class. My older sister had over 3000.
terpmama
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Assuming all things being equal (academics and rating were the same, as well as clubs, sports and extras)... Basically if all we're discussing is class size.. Then oldest to the smaller and youngest to the larger. 

My brother and I were in similar positions. He went to a smaller private school while I went to the larger public school (we switched districts between when he went and when I went- his public school was aweful, while mine was stellar). But the same held true for college.... He went to a smaller school while I went to a large one. 

SoKamele
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Small..........we're small town people. I like the closeness of a small school.

My son goes to a small school already.

MamaSnaps
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:19 PM

I am very pro-small school. BUT! There are good things about large schools....

If a child is doing well in school and has good grades on his or her own then a large school offers more in terms of extra curricular activities for kids. There are also more kids, so cliques and things are still a problem, but that doesn't leave a kid without anyone to be friends with like a small school can. There are more kids of the same kind. 

If a child is borderline or struggles in any way, whether it is that they are having a hard time with the material or they don't like to do the homework then a small school is definitely the way to go. It is very easy for kids like that to fall through the cracks in a large school and never make it to graduation. I am in constant contact with the guidance counselor for our 8th grader. I talk with her about twice a week regarding him. In a large school the guidance counselor has wayyyy to many kids to talk twice a week with one parent and chase after one student's grades, actions, etc.

If a child is a star athlete? Large school is fine. If they are an average athlete small school is better. The chance of actually making the team in a large school is lower so the average kids get stuck behind the few star athletes and don't get to play and develop like they do in a small school.

Small school teachers KNOW the kids. Large school teachers see several hundred kids a day. They might know a some of those personally, but not every one of them like a small school teacher will. It is much easier to know why one student might be struggling if you know them and it's also easier to pair them up with a student who can help them.

Small school kids are a person. large school kids are a name and number.  

sabrtooth1
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Quoting MsRkg:

Small always. It has proven time and time again that a smaller class size to teacher ratio the better the child will do.

CLASS size has NOTHING to do with SCHOOL size.  And SCHOOL size has nothing to do with school quality.  For that matter, below a certain ratio, the class size is irrelevant also.  The QUALITY of the TEACHING STAFF is the best predictor of student success.  You can have 2 kids in a class, and if the teacher is incompetent, the kids will learn nothing.

My kids went to a very large public high school--almost 4000 students.  Class size averaged 18:1, and the school is rated 40th out of 760 schools in the state, with 98.9% of students taking the ACT, SAT, or both, and scoring an average ACT of 23.

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:23 PM
Small. I went to a small elementary and middle school. It was a good environment, we all knew each other, and there was less bullying. I went to a huge hs and hated it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:26 PM
Mine went to a huge school, over 550 kids per grade. It was awesome. You cannot get 100 class offerings in a tiny HS. What was nice is there were 2 buildings, one for freshman and sophomores, and juniors and seniors in the other. A large school doesn't mean class size is large. Teachers know the kids too. DD graduated 4 years ago. Never sent to the principals office and he eats at her work and remembers her and her name.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SamMom912
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:30 PM

What do you think would be better for your kids personality? 

My kid doesnt like crowds or chaos. My kid likes quiet, personal and serene. So, im guessing for his personality the smaller school would be a better fit. 

There are so many factors that go into why you should chose a school... But dont forget the "fit" for the student. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN