Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has anyone seen this?! note:graphic pics

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:29 AM
  • 18 Replies

Mobile Photo

My niece is visiting and showed me a "wart" on her foot that she is limping on. She has been to the ER and they said to just wait for it to go away. She has had it at least 3 month (i did not look at it the last time she came). She said she tried pop it and pulled out a long black thing that looked like a splinter GROSS! Ihave never had one but i don't think that's normal.

Her doctor froze it twice and nothing. Any advice?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FaeBrooke
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Mobile Photo

fitnessjunkie
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:32 AM
Duct tape. It got rid of mine. Keep it on until it falls off
bmw29
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:34 AM

It's a planters wart right? If so put duct tape on it and leave it on for as long as possible. It may take a week or so but it does help. Duct tape does fix everything. ;)

Study Results

In 2002, "The Archives of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine" reported the results of a study performed at the Madigan Army Medical Center in Washington state. Eighty-five percent of people treated with duct tape showed a complete resolution of their warts after the treatment period. Traditional treatments such as cryotherapy showed a 60 percent rate of healing.

Process

Warts are covered with duct tape for six days, at which point the tape is removed. The second step of the duct tape treatment includes soaking the foot in warm water and filing down the wart to remove dead or loosened skin. After leaving the warts free of tape overnight, the tape is reapplied for another six-day treatment period.

Length of Treatment

The study performed at the Madigan Army Medical Center showed "partial resolution" when the duct tape treatment was used for two to three weeks. The American Academy of Family Physicians explains that plantar warts can be treated with duct tape for up to eight weeks.

Medical Reasoning

The Mayo Clinic explains that medical experts believe that the duct tape irritates the skin that surrounds the warts. When the skin becomes irritated, the immune system tries to fight the foreign object (the tape) and helps heal the warts.

Practicality

Duct tape is a practical solution for those who have plantar warts, since the materials are inexpensive and widely available. Medical knowledge is not needed to be able to cure plantar warts through the duct tape method.

vanillapadilla
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:37 AM

it's a plantars wart. They call it that because the blood vessels die, and come to the surface and almost look like seeds. You can pull them out (although i advise not too, it will only irritate the area more) They can also spread quite rapidly. i would say that her mother should take her to a derm. and set up a series of appointments to freeze it off all the way. If they go about it the right way, they should have her coming in for them about once a week until its gone, and could take a month or two. Hope that helps. 

FaeBrooke
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:44 AM
1 mom liked this
Thank you gals. Her father has custody but she lives with her Nana, anyways, shes 13 and doesn't want to freeze it again because it hurt and she hates the duck tape. Gah teenagers lol.

I'm going to tell her to either tape it while she's here or else deal. Poor thing, she will have to do something sooner or later.
friendlymom5
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:03 AM
My son had some stubborn warts and the dr put him on zantac for a month and they disappeared.
JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:08 AM
1 mom liked this
Hubby used to constantly get warts. Maybe get her some colored duct tape for it?
Mommy2justone
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:09 AM
1 mom liked this
They make justin beber duct tape ....maybe that will work.
Jadegirl1819
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:21 AM

By doctor, does she mean a general doctor or a dermatologist?  She needs to go to a derm to have it treated.  That is nasty and looks infected.  ER isn't equiped to handle wart removal.

Amberleigh81
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:33 AM
If it's plantar warts, they will spread. I had them in high school from swim team, amd because I waited to the end of the season to treat them (I couldn't miss any meets and I wanted to letter) I had to havr laser surgery and wear a surgical boot for a month. They had tunnelled really deep into the ball of my foot. I still have a scar.

She needs treatment. Tell her it's freeze it now or a surgical boot in the summer. :/
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)