Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

The worst... I need advice (PIOG)

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:30 AM
  • 14 Replies

Yesterday my son woke up with a fever. He was acting fine other than the fact that he was so hot and he was acting extra tired. I wasn't going to take him to the children's nighttime clinic, but we ended up taking him anyway just in case.

After we got there, we sat for 1 1/2 hours. Understandable, but I didn't think to bring his tylenol so his temp was going up most of the time we were there. They took his temperature wrong. I knew the temp they got was way below what his temp actually was. I asked the doctor  to recheck his temp, she didn't. She looks at his ears, says they look perfect. She looks at his throat, says it's a little red but nothing too bad. They did a strep test, said it must be viral since that came back negative, and sent us home.

Pulling into the drive way at home, he started having a seizure. Worst fucking experience of my LIFE. I'll never forget how helpless I felt and how awful it was.

So we called an ambulance. We get to the hospital and the second the doctor looks in his throat he said "wow he's got blisters" and checked his ears, found an ear infection in both. His temperature was 103.3, not 100.

I told that bitch doctor that she was wrong, and something was wrong with my son. Doctors need to listen to mothers more. We might not have a degree, but when it comes to our own children, we know wtf is normal and what isn't.

Thankfully he is fine now (it was a febrile seizure aka fever seizure).  I'd like to never repeat this experience, ever, in my life.  I honestly think I need mental help now, though. I don't know how to deal with all the emotions and thoughts I'm having, and I can't stop replaying it all in my head. I know it only happened last night and it's still fresh, so I know it will get better, but I can't handle it right now.  Does anyone have any advice on how to stop the whole thing from replaying in my head every time I close my eyes? Or how to NOT become the worst kind of helicopter mother after this? I'm really freaking out in my head.

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:36 AM

I hope you told the ER doctor the other doctors name and where she was working so they could investigate it. I have been lucky that any doctor i have dealt with in the last 10 years for me or dd (she is 7) have taken me seriously.  She would get a horrible stomach virus every year for 4 years, the same month and vomitting for a week.

emmy526
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:26 AM
1 mom liked this

WOW,...i'd be LIVID with that first dr and be filing complaints immediately!!!!!  Take a pro active stance on this, listen to your gut when it comes to your kids...if that was me in the clinic, i wouldn't have left the first time until i was satisfied...yes, i can be a pain in the ass, but it's MY child.  Your first step should be to file complaints with the clinic, send a closed copy of the complaint to the Joint Commission as well....time will help you heal from that nightmare, and you need to keep your wits about you for your kids sake...if you find the incident repeating itself over and over in your head and you can't control it, THEN it's time for professional help.  The library has wonderful books on this issue and can be a great resource for you.  Good luck

unspecified42
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:37 AM
2 moms liked this
Whether it not there is an infection is kind of a judgement call, really. Also, I can personally attest to the fact that most parents who bring kids in to the ER (mine, anyway) do NOT require emergency care for their children. No, not all moms know when something is wrong with their child. Things are very different on the other side. And his temperature was probably also elevated from the seizure, since seizing muscles produce a lot of heat.

Also, while scary, febrile seizures are rarely dangerous. The AAP recommends against abx for ear infections, and most throat infections are viral and require no treatment. They probably gave you one to cover their ass, but it probably also didn't need it. Just give antipyretics and that's really the end if it. I'm sure it was a scary experience, but truthfully it wasn't a very dangerous one.

I've seen many, many febrile seizures and many parents freaking out over them. The parents of kids who have them frequently eventually realize that it isn't an emergency and stop coming in for them, but it's a scary thing to watch initially.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emmy526
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:44 AM

what her child had CAN be dangerous-ever hear of perforated ear drums caused by ear infection? Blisters in the child's throat could have caused his airways to close up too...THat first dr did a first class shitty job of helping the child, and needs to be reported. 

Quote:

We get to the hospital and the second the doctor looks in his throat he said "wow he's got blisters" and checked his ears, found an ear infection in both. 

Quoting unspecified42:

Whether it not there is an infection is kind of a judgement call, really. Also, I can personally attest to the fact that most parents who bring kids in to the ER (mine, anyway) do NOT require emergency care for their children. No, not all moms know when something is wrong with their child. Things are very different on the other side. And his temperature was probably also elevated from the seizure, since seizing muscles produce a lot of heat.

Also, while scary, febrile seizures are rarely dangerous. The AAP recommends against abx for ear infections, and most throat infections are viral and require no treatment. They probably gave you one to cover their ass, but it probably also didn't need it. Just give antipyretics and that's really the end if it. I'm sure it was a scary experience, but truthfully it wasn't a very dangerous one.

I've seen many, many febrile seizures and many parents freaking out over them. The parents of kids who have them frequently eventually realize that it isn't an emergency and stop coming in for them, but it's a scary thing to watch initially.

unspecified42
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:53 AM
I can tell that you don't work in the medical field.

Quoting emmy526:

what her child had CAN be dangerous-ever hear of perforated ear drums caused by ear infection? Blisters in the child's throat could have caused his airways to close up too...THat first dr did a first class shitty job of helping the child, and needs to be reported. 

Quote:

We get to the hospital and the second the doctor looks in his throat he said "wow he's got blisters" and checked his ears, found an ear infection in both. 

Quoting unspecified42:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emmy526
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:54 AM

yes i do..and i've also had a child who's ears perforated due to infection, and a helicopter ride to the hospital cuz his throat was closing up

Quoting unspecified42:

Quoting emmy526:

Quote:

Quoting unspecified42:

unspecified42
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:00 AM
I'm not going to waste my time arguing with you. You can look up the guidelines if you are interested in educating yourself, as you clearly are not. No an ear infection is not an emergency, and neither is pharyngitis.

Quoting emmy526:

yes i do..and i've also had a child who's ears perforated due to infection, and a helicopter ride to the hospital cuz his throat was closing up

Quoting unspecified42:

Quoting emmy526:

Quote:

Quoting unspecified42:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emmy526
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:04 AM
2 moms liked this

i take it you've never had a child screaming in agony due to an ear infection that was ready to burst?  I'm not going to waste my time either with you....any dr who dismisses a mother's concerns has no business treating children. 

Quoting unspecified42:

I'm not going to waste my time arguing with you. You can look up the guidelines if you are interested in educating yourself, as you clearly are not. No an ear infection is not an emergency, and neither is pharyngitis.

Quoting emmy526:

Quoting unspecified42:

Quoting emmy526:

Quote:

Quoting unspecified42:

Femommy
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:24 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm so sorry you had to go through that. I've also had a bad experience with a doctor two weeks ago. I guess since we dont have the degree our opinion doesn't matter. My son had a fever of 104.6 and I couldn't get it to stay down. I was worried about him having seizures. Well forbid me telling the doctor that. She just looked at me and said hey you could have waited till his fever got to 105-106 he was in no danger at 104. REALLY is what I was thinking. My sons doctor always told me to call the office if it's higher then 103. Well I told her to test him for flu and strep because his sister was diagnosed with both the week before. She flat out told me that was impossible to have both. Well both test where positive at the office and was done at separate times. So the doctor for my son only did a flu test and it was positive. She give him tamiflu. Luckly he got better but every question I asked or things I said she made me feel the size of an ant.
AidansMomMom
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:42 AM

The ER doctors told us his temp was lower from the seizure. They told me the reason the seizure happens is because the body is trying to lower it's temp by itself. I didn't take him to the ER until after his seizure though, I took him to a clinic before that. I understand NOW that it wasn't a dangerous thing to happen, but I didn't know that at the time and I can't stop seeing it replay in my head over and over even though I know now.

Quoting unspecified42:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)