Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Going to Disney World with a two year old and a five year old...help!

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:27 AM
  • 75 Replies

Any advice at all would be great....anything from "Bring lots of water" to "Stay away form the ride that leads into a portal of hell..." You know, whatever. If you've gone with a two year old, how did it go? How did you handle naps? Did you keep the stay short each day (like no more than three or four hours) or did you go all day? What were the best things to do and see for small kids? Again, anything that stuck in your mind, or made you think you'd do it a little differently if given the chance, I'd love to hear it. 

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
elzmnsf
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:27 AM
Are you just going for a day? Or longer? If longer are you staying on property or at a place close by with a shuttle?? Just the magic kingdom or other parks?? A Disney vacay can be all in the details!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
spotsmom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:25 AM

We're going for a full week, arriving Sat, leaving the following Sat. We are staying close by, there is a shuttle, and we plan on going to the Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, and possibly the other two, Hollywood Studios and Epcot (we've been to Epcot before).  Maybe even the water park. 

Quoting elzmnsf:

Are you just going for a day? Or longer? If longer are you staying on property or at a place close by with a shuttle?? Just the magic kingdom or other parks?? A Disney vacay can be all in the details!!

PinkParadox
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:28 AM
3 moms liked this
I would wait until at least one of them is old enough to remember, and they are both big enough for rides...but that's just me. The lines will be extremely long, to pretty much everything. Bring snacks, everything is expensive.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jesuschild06
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:31 AM
"leashes". I know there are a lot of moms out there against it bot both of those kids are gonna wanna walk and explore, not be stuck in a stroller (though you could bring one for when they get tired). This is the one time they are so useful. Crowds. freedom wanted. and safety wanted.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy_Frias
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Take a backpack with food and water and rent the strollers it's we'll worth it save magic kingdom for night time also the princesses you can meet but be prepared to wait in line for 2 hours per princess. Look up show times and be there in advance to get a good view
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:35 AM
1 mom liked this
Yep, we waited till they were 6 and 9. No naps, they could last all day for a week. Enjoyable. No whining and they remembered the trip.

Quoting PinkParadox:

I would wait until at least one of them is old enough to remember, and they are both big enough for rides...but that's just me. The lines will be extremely long, to pretty much everything. Bring snacks, everything is expensive.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kim8934
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:42 AM
1 mom liked this

I have gone w/2 yr old & 6 yr old, so close enough.  we stayed on the grounds and would come back around lunch time for the nap.  I specifically requested a room close to the laundry and the pool (usually close to each other).  I could toss in a load when OS & ex got ready to go swimming, come back, they would go swimming.  YS would nap a few hours and we would go back around 4 or 5 when everyone was eatting dinner.  We always took a backpack w/snacks.  We also had food in our room (in a cooler), ie cereal, milk, lunch meat, etc.  you save over an hour in the morning avoiding the food courts and getting to the parks fairly early.

DaniandTom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:47 AM

If your hotel offers daycare, take advantage of it. Theme parks can be overwhelming for small children. They don't understand "costumes" and can either fall in love with giant Mikey or be terrorized by him! You never know until you get there. All of the parks now have child-friendly rides and activites that your kids will enjoy but 2 yr olds don't usually sit still long enough to watch the shows and if you're not resigned to making this all about them, they can "ruin" it for older kids and parents. Do a few hours a day instead of all day excursions. There is SO MUCH to do here! (I live in the Orlando area) Also, the beach is only about an hour from where you are going to be so remember to go drive on the sand at Daytona!( Yes you can drive on the beach there) You might also go see the Ripleys museum which your 5 yr old will enjoy--it's an upside down building! Upstairs they have a bunch of hands-on activities that he/she might also enjoy. 
As far as which rides to stay away from, well pay close attention to the age and height requirements. They're not just arbitrary, they're there for a reason. At Disney and Universal Studios (which you also may want to see) there are areas specifically designed for smaller children. Make this vacation all about the kids and you won't be disappointed. If you make it about your enjoyment of the awesome rides and shows that are available for you to see and experience, chances are you're going to be let down because you either can't take your kids on them with you or they won't sit still through the whole thing. IDEALLY, if you could take a nanny with you to help with the kids and watch them while you and your hubby go on the roller coasters and scarier attractions, you will all get the full enjoyment out of the parks. Unfortunately, that gets pretty expensive and isn't an option for many parents. Keep your expectations reasonable and you'll have a great time! Oh, and bring LOTS of money! It's expensive to eat and drink at the parks! Due to security, they may not allow you to bring drinks with you--I'm not sure. (Kinda like the airplanes) If they don't stop you--which you should be able to find out before your trip-bring lots of drinks and snacks. Your hotel should be able to hook you up with a lot of things too. All things considered, you should have a terrific time if you do it right! HAVE FUN!!!

nurse1997
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Your going to have you hands full so just get ready now - try to keep the schedule you have at home you will need to get a hopper pass so you can leave the park to eat it costs crazy for food and drinks - Have fun dont stress

MommeisQueen
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:26 AM
We are taking our kids this summer(9, 7, 5, 3 &1) but I wouldn't dare do more than two or three parks...I am resting a day at the resort in between each park. I'm bringing our own double stroller each child has a back pack or carry on with water bottles from the resort, autograph books snacks etc.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured