Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

need advice on quitting smoking

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:42 AM
  • 11 Replies

first let me start out with, i'm ashamed of myself. i'm a smoker. i quit cold turkey the day i found out i was pregnant with dd but like a idiot picked it up again a month after her birth. but i've made the decision that today is the day i quit. i want to do this so i can work out and lose weight because right now i struggle with it because the smoking henders my breathing. i want to do this because i have HPV and smoking heightens my risk of getting cervical cancer. but i NEED to do this for my dd so i can watch her grow up. so here are my questions:

have any of you quit cold turkey?
what helped you stick with it?
did you gain much weight (or if you didn't how did you keep from gaining?)

CafeMom Tickers
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Moe1521
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:53 AM
1 mom liked this
I quit cold turkey. I chewed LOTS of big red cinnamon gum and sucked on hard candies. I gained maybe five pounds.

Good luck!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
DaniandTom
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:57 AM
1 mom liked this

I didn't gain at all when I quit. Like you, I quit for pregnancy and started up again, although I didn't re-start until (gulp) 19 years later! IDIOT, I know! For me, quitting with my first child was easy. I did not want my kids to smoke and I could not justify being the hypocrit my mother was, telling me not to smoke while she stood there with cigarette in hand. I wanted to be able to tell them in no uncertain terms how awful it was for their health, how I didn't like the smell and how stupid I thought it was. (kinda backfired when I started again...LOL)
Write down your reasons for quitting....be SPECIFIC! Not just "for my child" but so they don't sneak my cigarettes, so they don't want to be like me and smoke, so they aren't exposed to second hand smoke, so I can smell it on them if they ever do...etc

Whenever you want to smoke, and you will, re-read those things on your list. Anytime you think of a new one, write it on there. MAKE SURE that everyone knows you're trying to quit! They need to make allowances if you get a little short tempered with them. I didn't but then I was so overjoyed with the prospect of motherhood, I didn't care, the first time and the second and last time I quit, I did it with my new husband and I wanted HIM to quit. I knew if I picked them up again, he would also and that was enough to keep me motivated! (if your hubs smokes, see if you can get him to quit also. It's SOOOOOOO much easier to quit if you're not exposed to it every day! If he won't, tell him he can't smoke inside the house anymore and he needs to brush his teeth and "air out" before coming around you or the baby! HOPEFULLY, this will become more trouble than it's worth and he'll at least cut down!)
Above all, good luck! You CAN do this! If you need pep talks, feel free to PM me! I remember how hard it can be at times. ♥Hugs♥ 

jackiewal10
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:02 AM
1 mom liked this

I did.  I just woke up one morning, I think after a scary dream about dying from lung cancer, and did it.  And, I was so freaked out by that dream, I never looked back.  I never wanted another.  YES, I craved them for several years afterwards at different times, but I never actually wanted one.  It's been 10 years this summer sinceDH and I quit.

Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:13 AM
1 mom liked this

YOU CAN DO IT! I can tell you want it bad enough. Cigarettes are your mortal enemy, not your friend, kick their ass. I carried around a half a straw to suck on and play with, that worked for me. And gum chewing. And deep breathing, and walking, and congratulating myself on getting healthier and not smelling bad anymore. Nicotine works almost instantly, it goes straight to your brain, that's why if you even have 1 you end up hooked again, DON'T DO IT! Trust me, I've been there too many times. I did finally quit for good when I was 26. My husband is weak and is still a smoker at 57.

mom2the.rescue
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:21 AM
1 mom liked this

I have...a couple times lol.  Cinnamon gum helps with cravings tremendously.  It keeps your mouth busy too.  And filing your nails keeps your hands busy during those cravings too.  Just get through those first few hard days and you'll be all set ;)  Good luck!

LuvsHopesDreams
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:44 AM
1 mom liked this
Good luck, momma! I'm trying to quit right now, too, because I just found out I'm pregnant. I quit the last time I was expecting, but caved in and started again two weeks after my son was born. I just found out on Monday that we're preg, and I'm cutting down so that I can be totally quit soon. Yesterday I only smoked 10, which is half of what I usually smoke. Maybe try weaning yourself. How much do you usually smoke?
ZoeysMom11
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:50 AM

it varys for me. some days i'll smoke 10 and other days i'll smoke 5. i have tried weaning in the past but never succeeded. all it took was one stressful moment and i was back to smoking full force. the only time i succeeded was when i quit cold turkey when i found out i was pregnant. i'm doing good so far, i haven't had a smoke since 8:30 last night. if i can make it through today, i'll be alright. the true test will be when my husband gets home, we tend to fight when one of us is trying to quit lol

Quoting LuvsHopesDreams:

Good luck, momma! I'm trying to quit right now, too, because I just found out I'm pregnant. I quit the last time I was expecting, but caved in and started again two weeks after my son was born. I just found out on Monday that we're preg, and I'm cutting down so that I can be totally quit soon. Yesterday I only smoked 10, which is half of what I usually smoke. Maybe try weaning yourself. How much do you usually smoke?

LuvsHopesDreams
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:56 AM
It sounds like you are doing good! I tried to go completely cold turkey one day last November. Let's just say it wasn't pretty. I caved in and had one of my Hubby's cigs that night! I was able to cut down and quit four years ago when I was preg--it took me two weeks then, but I did it! I just wish my hubby was trying to quit with me. :( By the way-- I get the stress part--I'm the same way.

Quoting ZoeysMom11: it varys for me. some days i'll smoke 10 and other days i'll smoke 5. i have tried weaning in the past but never succeeded. all it took was one stressful moment and i was back to smoking full force. the only time i succeeded was when i quit cold turkey when i found out i was pregnant. i'm doing good so far, i haven't had a smoke since 8:30 last night. if i can make it through today, i'll be alright. the true test will be when my husband gets home, we tend to fight when one of us is trying to quit lol
Quoting LuvsHopesDreams:Good luck, momma! I'm trying to quit right now, too, because I just found out I'm pregnant. I quit the last time I was expecting, but caved in and started again two weeks after my son was born. I just found out on Monday that we're preg, and I'm cutting down so that I can be totally quit soon. Yesterday I only smoked 10, which is half of what I usually smoke. Maybe try weaning yourself. How much do you usually smoke?

ZoeysMom11
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:01 PM

I wish my dh would quit with me but he always uses the excuse that he would kill everyone he works with if he quit. personally i think that's a little dramatic but the bottom line is he won't quit if he doesn't want too. he tried once right after dd was born, he made it 3 days then caved (and hid it from me for a week after he caved. lol)

Quoting LuvsHopesDreams:

It sounds like you are doing good! I tried to go completely cold turkey one day last November. Let's just say it wasn't pretty. I caved in and had one of my Hubby's cigs that night! I was able to cut down and quit four years ago when I was preg--it took me two weeks then, but I did it! I just wish my hubby was trying to quit with me. :( By the way-- I get the stress part--I'm the same way.

Quoting ZoeysMom11: it varys for me. some days i'll smoke 10 and other days i'll smoke 5. i have tried weaning in the past but never succeeded. all it took was one stressful moment and i was back to smoking full force. the only time i succeeded was when i quit cold turkey when i found out i was pregnant. i'm doing good so far, i haven't had a smoke since 8:30 last night. if i can make it through today, i'll be alright. the true test will be when my husband gets home, we tend to fight when one of us is trying to quit lol
Quoting LuvsHopesDreams:Good luck, momma! I'm trying to quit right now, too, because I just found out I'm pregnant. I quit the last time I was expecting, but caved in and started again two weeks after my son was born. I just found out on Monday that we're preg, and I'm cutting down so that I can be totally quit soon. Yesterday I only smoked 10, which is half of what I usually smoke. Maybe try weaning yourself. How much do you usually smoke?

LuvsHopesDreams
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:07 PM
You're right, he has to want to quit for himself. Mine doesn't right now. But I have told him NOT to leave his figs lying around. That just is too tempting.

Quoting ZoeysMom11:I wish my dh would quit with me but he always uses the excuse that he would kill everyone he works with if he quit. personally i think that's a little dramatic but the bottom line is he won't quit if he doesn't want too. he tried once right after dd was born, he made it 3 days then caved (and hid it from me for a week after he caved. lol)
Quoting LuvsHopesDreams:It sounds like you are doing good! I tried to go completely cold turkey one day last November. Let's just say it wasn't pretty. I caved in and had one of my Hubby's cigs that night! I was able to cut down and quit four years ago when I was preg--it took me two weeks then, but I did it! I just wish my hubby was trying to quit with me. :( By the way-- I get the stress part--I'm the same way.Quoting ZoeysMom11: it varys for me. some days i'll smoke 10 and other days i'll smoke 5. i have tried weaning in the past but never succeeded. all it took was one stressful moment and i was back to smoking full force. the only time i succeeded was when i quit cold turkey when i found out i was pregnant. i'm doing good so far, i haven't had a smoke since 8:30 last night. if i can make it through today, i'll be alright. the true test will be when my husband gets home, we tend to fight when one of us is trying to quit lolQuoting LuvsHopesDreams:Good luck, momma! I'm trying to quit right now, too, because I just found out I'm pregnant. I quit the last time I was expecting, but caved in and started again two weeks after my son was born. I just found out on Monday that we're preg, and I'm cutting down so that I can be totally quit soon. Yesterday I only smoked 10, which is half of what I usually smoke. Maybe try weaning yourself. How much do you usually smoke? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)