Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to Honor Your Parents

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:28 PM
  • 5 Replies

Most college students go through a stage of rebellious, moral, and social ideals of their parents.  Their rejection is usually dramatic and angry.  The parents are hurt and resentful.  They sacrifice and support their children only to find them turning against everything the family believes in and reveres.

To honor our parents is to recognize that they have fulfilled their responsibility as best they could.  They have made the necessary sacrifices.  They have preserved and improved life where they were able.

Of course, they made mistakes.  So did their parents, and the generation that preceded them.  So will the generation that follows them.  We can recognize these mistakes.  There is no aim at dishonor in the new generation’s striving to be better than the preceding one.  But each generation must be aware of the debt it owes and the foundation that was laid for the children to build a better life.

To honor our parents, then means that we foster a deep recognition of how fortunate we are.  Those who have gone before us have given so much.  Through them we received the gifts that were showered on all mankind.  In honoring our parents we show our gratitude for all creation.

Parents are asked, in return, to live in a way that encourages children to accord honor.  We pay our debt to those who have preceded us by sharing in the continuing creation of a world of peach and harmony for our children.

To honor and be honored are two of life’s greatest joys.  The reverence and esteem we give and receive nourish and heal us.

The world offers lots of phony substitutes for honor:  flattery, prestige, fame, popularity.  We don’t need to settle for poor imitations.  We can give and receive honor in all that we do and say.  True honor comes to us through our work as stewards of the earth, caring for our world and passing it beauty and riches to all those who follow.

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:32 PM
Luckily, I never rebelled in a horrible way. My girls haven't either. My parents are not alive now. I think I honored my parents by showing them they raised me well by having a good marriage and raised my kids well to pass on their legacy and what they taught me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RosesReally
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Quoting atlmom2:

Luckily, I never rebelled in a horrible way. My girls haven't either. My parents are not alive now. I think I honored my parents by showing them they raised me well by having a good marriage and raised my kids well to pass on their legacy and what they taught me.

That is wonderful.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:36 PM
Well my dad just saw a few months of my marriage. Sadly he died 4 months after I married. I worshiped my Dad and he knew it. He was the best Dad ever.

Quoting RosesReally:

Quoting atlmom2:

That is wonderful.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bleacheddecay
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:33 PM

It is one thing to forgive parents for things they've done in the past. It's another thing to deal with how they are acting in the present.

I always honor my parents but they don't always act in honorable ways. I was raised to love your family no matter what though and I do. I may not like or trust them but I love them.

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Cant relate. My parents honestly are not honorable people. My mother abandonded us when we were little. My father, did what he could... But as a child, and an adult, i still see so many of his choices as so gosh darn questionable. That honor and respect is a tough one for me. There was no sacrifice made in the name of being a responsible parent. 

I love my dad... But honor... Seems a bit steep. 

I hope to foster a better relationship with my son. Hubby and I have been married, happily and committed for 15 years. We have a 6 year old son. We own a house, have money in the bank and have a nice, life. 

I think this is a beautiful statement, but it lacks a reality for me, and Im guessing a handful of others. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)