• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How much information about yourself should you share online?

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:02 PM
  • 10 Replies

We need intimate friendships.  We need people we can trust.  We share our fears and hopes with others who understand how we feel and and think.

But these days, intimate friendships are rare. We have lots of excuses for not having close friends--too little time, so many obligations, always on the move. We can hardly find time to spend with our family, much less to form and nurture deep and lasting friendships. But the real reason for lacking friends usually goes much deeper. Many of us are not sure what real friendship means. We worry about obligations it brings and what we might have to give up for friendship.

A true friend is willing to lay down his life for another. That doesn’t mean real friendship is only proven in moments of physical danger. Rather, that the commitment of friendship extends beyond times of joy, to times of sadness and despair. We are resolved to maintain the relationship even when things go wrong, when disagreements threaten separation, when sacrifices are required of us to keep the friendship healthy.

When we know the meaning of real friendship, we understand why it is so rare and valuable. It takes so much courage to show who we really are. Intimacy means vulnerability. It’s always possible that when we offer what is most precious to us, it will be rejected.

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
meliscool72
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:06 PM

??? okay so what does the title mean then? I am confused now. Are you asking what should we share or when is too much too much? It all seems to me is a lecture, nothing more, but I see where you are coming from, but I don't understand the title to your post after reading everything.

RosesReally
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Quoting meliscool72:

??? okay so what does the title mean then? I am confused now. Are you asking what should we share or when is too much too much? It all seems to me is a lecture, nothing more, but I see where you are coming from, but I don't understand the title to your post after reading everything.

Maybe kind of lengthy.  But really how much do you share? 

RosesReally
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Quoting meliscool72:

How long does it take before you know the person you are talking to is real?

meliscool72
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:14 PM

well you will never know if the person is real if you post online. In person you share, but keep a wall barrier. There is a person that I am roommates with for almost 2 years now and I still don't know her and probably never will, THANK GOD.

Quoting RosesReally:

Quoting meliscool72:

meliscool72
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:16 PM

online I would only share things that won't really give my true identity until I feel comfortable, but like I said, sharing is going to be hard when you are on the internet. I am a female in her 30's that has 3 children, however, you never know if I am telling the truth. You never know because you have never met me. You will never know unless we meet up in person. I could be a man that is 20 lbs and 5'3 and 60 years old. You can be whatever you want on the internet. videos don't work any more either because you can use gifs to make yourself a different person than who you really are.

Quoting RosesReally:

Quoting meliscool72:

Maybe kind of lengthy.  But really how much do you share? 

RosesReally
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Quoting meliscool72:

well you will never know if the person is real if you post online. In person you share, but keep a wall barrier. There is a person that I am roommates with for almost 2 years now and I still don't know her and probably never will, THANK GOD.

Quoting RosesReally:

Quoting meliscool72:

LOL

Bleacheddecay
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:31 PM

I give out no information on location, pictures, and lot's of other stuff online.

godsgirl26
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:34 PM
I don't post about my personal life on here. Now I'm really starting to think twice about adding people
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
emarin77
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:53 PM

No address or phone # until you meet in person and develop a friendship.  Once you feel comfortable with the person you can start giving out more info.  That is how I met my husband online

RosesReally
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

I give out no information on location, pictures, and lot's of other stuff online.

A hug is worth a thousand words.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)