Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Odd 11 month old behavior?

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:27 PM
  • 12 Replies

I don't think this of concern because I did a little research, but thought I'd see what others say. I'll give background then ask about what is going on. My baby will be 11 months old tomorrow, she has already taken her first steps (last friday!) and can get herself standing without even holding on to anything so she is almost walking. She has always been fairly advanced for her age, doc said. Rolling one way at a month old, other way by about 3 months, super strong very early on. She already says mama, dada, baba, yeah, uh-oh, uh-uh(for no), and hi (somewhat). She waves, claps a lot, plays peek a boo, is always happy, loves interacting with people, but does have a little stranger danger attitude (I know normal) she doesn't like other people to hold her, like my brother, my dad, sometimes even her uncles on her dad's side (so mostly men she doesn't know really well).

Anyway, so even with all this going on there have been things I've noticed that seem a bit odd. I do have an almost 5 year old (turns 5 in 5 days) and she never displayed the behaviors I'm about to describe. My 11 month old sometimes purposly hits her head on things. Sitting in her crib she rocks backwards to bang her head on the side (its got a changing table attached and is a solid side). Sometimes she sits againsst our dvd cabinet and bangs her head, rocking back against it over and over again. She also sometimes slaps her own head over and over again a lot of times its over her ears. Sometimes she'll just be sitting on the floor playing and rocks back and forth as she sits there. Occasionally she will be sitting or standing around and starts shaking her head as if she is saying no, but no one has been talking to her or anything. I've read some of this can be self soothing things, or done because of boredom, but she seems to do it a lot even though I play with her a lot and her older sis plays with her a lot too. Does this sound like boredom or what? She doesn't have an appointment until her year check up in a month and I'll mention it then, but not sure if I should be more concerned or what. What do you guys think?

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sabrtooth1
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Tell your Dr.  and MAKE SURE he takes you seriously.  Could be on the Autism or Tourette spectrum.

stargazerwolf
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:35 PM

I will be talking to her doc about it next month. Part of me thought Autism, but I know its pretty hard to diagnose at this age. I know some babies will do these kinds of things normally at this age to soothe themselves. It seems she only does it when she's been playing for awhile by herself, she does it a bit then will crawl over to me or her sister. I mean I know kids with Autism will exhibit these behaviors but then I have symptoms of being Autistic as an adult too, I really hate looking people in the eye, have always been a bit socially awkward, but been called shy. I've always been uncomfortable with people touching me other than the man I am dating and my kids. Over the years its eased up but I'm still uncomfortable with a lot of things.

I guess the only thing I can do is when I talk to her doc ask about Autism in toddlers. I don't think I've ever heard of a child diagnosed so young though. Can probably only wait and see I guess. Thanks.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:23 PM

What do you mean plays with her alot? How much time and what kinds of games do you play with her?    My youngest brother self soothed this way and does not have the 2 you mentioned.   I think all you can do for now os redirect her attention onto something else.

JMmama
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:40 PM
Could be a sensory issue. My 15 month old is pretty clearly not autistic but does have some sensory issues. One of the things he does is bang on his head with his hands and pull his hair. We are working with an OT.

However, it could also be nothing. This age is a pretty big time of exploration. If she is standing and shaking her head "no" for no apparent reason, it could be that it feels funny or it makes her a little dizzy and she is just exploring.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
stargazerwolf
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:43 PM

I was saying that if the habits were caused by boredom or something like that I don't understand because we play with her a lot. We do patty cake, peek a boo and just playing with her toys. We dance sometimes as she loves dancing and stands moving up and down and back and forth. We also do a lot of tickling. Just typical playing with a baby. I am a SAHM so she gets my attention most of the day, though I do some work on the computer writing and selling things on ebay and such. When I am working on the computer my older daughter plays with her, rattling toys, crawling around like little doggies, coloring even (yes my 11 month old colors kind of lol).

When she starts doing the head banging and head slapping I do redirect her. The rocking I think is fairly normal anyway and doesn't harm her. The "no" head shaking I can't tell if she does it because she recently learned it and she thinks its fun (and silly) or if it is something else. It could easily be because she just learned it just like she says "uh oh" all the time and puts her hands up just like we do when we say "uh oh" to her.

Quoting frndlyfn:

What do you mean plays with her alot? How much time and what kinds of games do you play with her?    My youngest brother self soothed this way and does not have the 2 you mentioned.   I think all you can do for now os redirect her attention onto something else.

stargazerwolf
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Ya it is really hard to tell if her habits are just things to "explore" I mean even the head banging, she doesnt do terribly hard or anything, she seems to like the sound it makes or something. Maybe she thinks its funny to slap her head becaus of the sound and I laughed the first time she did it. I agree the head shaking "no" could easily be that just like her "uh oh" saying with her hands up, she just really learned those things...they learn so much at this age its hard to say if anything is a habit, a problem or just exploring. 

Quoting JMmama:

Could be a sensory issue. My 15 month old is pretty clearly not autistic but does have some sensory issues. One of the things he does is bang on his head with his hands and pull his hair. We are working with an OT.

However, it could also be nothing. This age is a pretty big time of exploration. If she is standing and shaking her head "no" for no apparent reason, it could be that it feels funny or it makes her a little dizzy and she is just exploring.

Roo1234
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:48 PM
these behaviors could mean something our they could mean absolutely nothing. they really aren't that uncommon
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Just mention any concerns to your doctor.   I am thinking it is all her toddler development as painful as the head banging looks she will grow out of.  She could just be doing some of the things to get a reaction out of someone whether it be a good reaction or a bad reaction.  This age can be confusing as you probably know from having another child since they arent able to communicate fully so will use silly antics to gain the spot light.

Quoting stargazerwolf:

I was saying that if the habits were caused by boredom or something like that I don't understand because we play with her a lot. We do patty cake, peek a boo and just playing with her toys. We dance sometimes as she loves dancing and stands moving up and down and back and forth. We also do a lot of tickling. Just typical playing with a baby. I am a SAHM so she gets my attention most of the day, though I do some work on the computer writing and selling things on ebay and such. When I am working on the computer my older daughter plays with her, rattling toys, crawling around like little doggies, coloring even (yes my 11 month old colors kind of lol).

When she starts doing the head banging and head slapping I do redirect her. The rocking I think is fairly normal anyway and doesn't harm her. The "no" head shaking I can't tell if she does it because she recently learned it and she thinks its fun (and silly) or if it is something else. It could easily be because she just learned it just like she says "uh oh" all the time and puts her hands up just like we do when we say "uh oh" to her.

Quoting frndlyfn:

TexanMomOf6
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:56 PM

My 2nd baby started hitting his head on the floor at about 14 months. I was worried. He would do it a few times a day, hitting his head 3 or 4 times each occurrence. Doctor said he'd stop when it hurts. He did it for a couple months then quit.  He was a "hard-headed" learner. He would do things more than once in order to make sure the results were the same each time. He was not diagnosed with any learning  issues. He's grown, all things are normal, job, girlfriend, friends, never gets into trouble or has any odd attitudes. I guess it was just a phase.

JMmama
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:00 PM
Toddlers are tricky little critters aren't they, lol? I honestly wouldn't worry to much about it, especially if these are new behaviors. You could google "sensory processing disorder in toddlers" and you can find the screening that they use to evaluate toddlers for SPD. Everybody will find one or two things on the list that they do, but it kind of puts into perspective what is "normal" and what isn't. When we had Jpey evaluated it was pretty clear he was not behaving like a "normal" child.

Quoting stargazerwolf:

Ya it is really hard to tell if her habits are just things to "explore" I mean even the head banging, she doesnt do terribly hard or anything, she seems to like the sound it makes or something. Maybe she thinks its funny to slap her head becaus of the sound and I laughed the first time she did it. I agree the head shaking "no" could easily be that just like her "uh oh" saying with her hands up, she just really learned those things...they learn so much at this age its hard to say if anything is a habit, a problem or just exploring. 

Quoting JMmama:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)