Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

He absolutely HAS to sleep in his swing...any suggestions to break? *edited*

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:52 AM
  • 18 Replies
My son - now 2 months old, has been soothed to sleep by his father with bouncing. I admit, I would hold him to sleep but it also soothed him and basically I believe it shows him what time is bedtime and my daughter did the same thing. He actually started sleeping most of the night after two weeks and I was starting to ween him to his bassinette (which I have done before and was fairly simple to do). But since my fiance got a hold of him a few nights he was off work (and he lovingly wanted to give me some rest from getting up with our son each night-such a sweetie) my son now needs motion to soothe and sleep as well. I finally weened the motion to the swing a few weeks ago...but now I'm going through batteries like crazy for that swing and he still won't ween to the idea of being still to sleep. Any suggestions to help me teach him to sleep without the motion? Or am I just a hopeless case at this point with him? Please help!!

Wow! I got a lot of replies! My internet wasn't working the past day or so. So I haven't had a chance to read all the replies. I do want to thank everyone for the suggestions and good wishes! I will figure out which one wed like to try first and go from there. :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:08 AM

I would just rock him and then lay him down, if he wakes up you gently rub his back while making soothing noises or run a soothing cd/white noise machine.  If you lose hope now, you will be a mess as he becomes more mobile.  I nursed dd past a year old so that was the way she fell asleep.  

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:33 AM
1 mom liked this
I would just let him sleep in the swing. I know it's a pain to keep needing batteries but if the baby is comfy I'd let it happen. Maybe get somerechargeable batteries.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Lynette
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:39 AM

If you are breast feeding I would suggest bedsharing/cosleeping.  If you are formula feeding I wouldn't, not as safe then.  Another idea is a sleep hammock, I have seen them online, here is one http://www.babyhammocks.com/

katiebeth1821
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:05 AM

you could try letting him fall asleep swing in the swing then once asleep turning the swing off dont take hin out but make the swing stop moving im sure he is going to wake up a few time and fuss just do the same thing let him swing he falls asleep turn it off I think over time he will just sleep in swing with out it moving once you get him there it will be easier to move him somewhere else first you need to get him to stop needing the motion to fall asleep

notsowicked11
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:13 AM

just like he got used to sleeping in the swing, he is young enough to get him used to not sleeping in the swing. It might be a very restless and sleepless (for you) couple of days, but it is doable. I would just rock him, and lay him down to sleep. If you know he doesn't NEED anything, letting him cry a little while rubbing/patting his back to soothe him until he goes back to sleep will not hurt him, and eventually, he will start sleeping in his bed. 

SweetLuci
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:32 AM

This shouls work. Don't give up or give in.

Quoting frndlyfn:

I would just rock him and then lay him down, if he wakes up you gently rub his back while making soothing noises or run a soothing cd/white noise machine.  If you lose hope now, you will be a mess as he becomes more mobile.  I nursed dd past a year old so that was the way she fell asleep.  

mypitusadoll
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:28 PM

At this age it would be easy for you to instill a new habit. What worked for me was taking my daughter on a ride in the car around the block, she would fall asleep immediately. I also used to play a lullaby CD. My husband used to sing to her and she would fall asleep instantly. So find out what works for your baby and you besides the swing. Hang in there! Parenting is a daily learning experience. Have a great day!

shannon.m.park
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 5:39 PM

does your bassinet have a swing or rock option? Mine rocked back and forth... 

We had a heat thing with my dd... I coslept with her... When I tried to wean her to the bassinet or brib at 3-6 months, no go... too cold... Had to heat a blanket in the dryer b4 putting her to bed and even that didnt always (hardly ever) work...

MysticIceWater
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:41 PM
1 mom liked this

My son went through this, First get rechargable batteries. and than just let him sleep in it, Micah outgrew it over time. and thats all that worked, was moving him when he was ready.

MelanieMans
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:43 PM

co-sleep, my son would not sleep for more than 5 minuets in his bassinet and I was to worried about making sure he was still breathing to get any sleep at all so I layed him next to me and we have been sleeping with him ever since. Hes 17 months now

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)