Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

does it make a difference..

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:33 AM
  • 27 Replies
I just got marry and my question is that does it make a difference if I don't change my last name , would it affect me , don't get me wrong I love my husband very much and our kids have his last name .. I just don't see why I gotta change it ... Plz no bs
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:42 AM
1 mom liked this

I dont think it does.  if you want to keep it , go ahead.  Any school the children go to may get confused but they will figure it out.   I do not have the same name as my guy or dd and frequently get called Mrs X instead of my last name.  It is even funnier when he gets called by my last name.

blondie.mom
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:46 AM
1 mom liked this
Doesn't make a difference, lots of women now days keep their maiden names. Go for it :)
katiebeth1821
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:21 AM
1 mom liked this

I dont think it makes a difference. I hate trying to explain to my kids why I have a different last name. They ask me questions about it and I try to answer them.

I get called my boyfriends last name all the time they say Ms. then his last name I just let it go not a big deal. Dont stress yourself over it. Like someone posted already its really common now.

polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:38 AM
1 mom liked this
Legally it doesn't matter what your name is. Given how the societal norm is for women to take their husbands' names, you'll probably get called mrs. His last name a lot, but it doesn't matter. I hyphenated my last name because I didn't want to just have his last name. I'm going to change it soon though. It's a pita to write every time I use my debit card.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jesuschild06
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:18 AM
2 moms liked this
doesnt matter but i would recommend finding out how hubby feels and work it out with him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
notsowicked11
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:36 AM
1 mom liked this

it is not a requirement to change your last name. a lot of women don't these days. 

atlmom2
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:57 AM
1 mom liked this
It doesn't make a difference but you will be called Mrs whatever your dh and kids names are some. My neighbor is a doctor. She professionally goes by her maiden name, but otherwise goes by her dh and kids last name. Legally not sure if her name is hyphenated or what.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:03 AM
1 mom liked this

No it doesn't make a difference.  It does get to be a pain when people insist on calling you Mrs. (his last name).  But in the end, as far as all the legal paperwork, nothing will change.  That's why I kept my last name, I simply didn't want to have to change all that paperwork. I'm also a feminist and at 34 (when I got married), I was quite attached to my last name.

motherslove82
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:12 AM
1 mom liked this
Lots of people keep their last name. I wanted the same "family name" as my family, but that was me. If you don't want to change it, there's no law saying you have to. :-)
whoodathunk
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this

You don't have to.  It can cause a lot of contention if it matters to your spouse. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured