Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

So, to starve or not to starve??? PIOG UPDATE*

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:09 PM
  • 84 Replies
1 mom liked this
It's lunch time in our house. I'm making chicken patties, mashed potatoes, and corn. (I'm 29 weeks pregnant and idc how unhealthy that sounds its quick, so Sue me) anyway. I walk into my 4 year Olds room and ask him if he would like some lunch with me? He says no but I'll take some jello... I told him he couldn't have jello for lunch he had to have food. And he says to me... ok then I'll starve.

In our home we have a strict policy on food. I will not cater to your every whim I make it, you eat it. I sometimes ask what he would like me to make but once its said, its made and you eat it. If you don't want it you starve. But lately I am starting to feel bad, because if he doesn't get his way he doesn't get anything. I feel like even though he says he will starve I hate that my 4 year old will say that and maybe I should just make something else. Beg him to eat. Etc.

So I wanna know, how would you handle this? If your child says they will starve do you let them? Do you force them to eat without choice? Beg and plead? So tell me...

What would you do?

UPDATE* for those of you wondering... 4 hours later.... my son, ate nearly all of his food and just to clarify, I never make stuff that he doesn't like and force him to eat it. 99% of the time, he has eaten the same meal before he just is being picky.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thenameshailie
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:14 PM
7 moms liked this

I would let him starve because he is not really starving. If he were really starving he would eat anything and not even care what it is. Skipping one meal will not hurt him.

MaturingMommy
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:18 PM
I meant, he will do this often and just not eat. He is very stubborn like.his parents and he does not back down.

Quoting thenameshailie:

I would let him starve because he is not really starving. If he were really starving he would eat anything and not even care what it is. Skipping one meal will not hurt him.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:21 PM
Jello is crap. Eat real food or starve.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thenameshailie
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:22 PM
1 mom liked this

He is on an independence kick. He will get over, stay strong momma!

Quoting MaturingMommy:

I meant, he will do this often and just not eat. He is very stubborn like.his parents and he does not back down.

Quoting thenameshailie:

Jshutty
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:25 PM

I think you have a good thing that you are teaching your child.  Mom is not a live in cook and what is made is what is eaten.  You may think about giving him a choice or other option but otherwise if he is hungry, he will eat.  You are not starving him:)

MomofHDFandNWF
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:25 PM
1 mom liked this

If you are worried about not him not eating enough, give him other healthy options that are easy to prepare for you.  You do not have to be a short order cook, but you can still offer him healthy choices. PB and J, crackers and cheese, an apple w/peanut butter, etc... all things that don't require you to turn on the stove.

My DD is now 7, and if she has tried what is for supper and does not want it she can get herself a bowl of cereal or I will make her PB and J.  I am not going to make a full separate meal for her, but she is not going to starve either.  There is a middle of the road you can take....

terpmama
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I would get him involved in cooking. My rules are sorta the same as yours... You have to try a no thank you bite but if you really don't like it you may have pbj or cereal (healthy choices). Sometimes my 4 year old chooses ot to eat, and that's fine... He may legibly be not hungry (I also always make sure there is at least one thing one everyone's plate they like).

SpiritedMom2
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:36 PM

A 4 year old should not be expected to behave like an adult... If he doesnt like what youre offering you need to offer him other healthy options that he would like. Like other pps have said - if he doesnt like what you made, offer him other stuff that wont require you to cook a whole meal - a sandwich, cereal, milkshake etc. And if he doesnt like any of that or isnt hungry just then, then its okay for him to have something a little later - say milk and crackers or fruit before bed. Its sad that you are telling him that if he doesnt like what you cook he has to "starve" - its negative language. Instead you could use options: you eat what I cook or you have xyz other options - if your enot hungry you can have something later. Food should be a happy enjoyable thing for a child and not something hes forced to eat whether hungry or not ,and whether he likes it or not...

momofsunshine77
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:44 PM

I agree with the I make it you eat it.  I will not cater either.  I dont think children will starve themselves to death.  Make him a plate and when he is hungry enough he will eat it :)

Piskie
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:58 PM

I'd have comprimised.... He can have jello for a desert as long as he tries the meal. Sometimes, i want to eat certain things. Kids are no different..... Sometimes my daughter wants ice cream for breakfast. Most of the time it's porridge, or yoghurt and fruit. One meal of ice crema won't hurt her, and one meal of jello won't hurt him.

You get to decide what to eat when you like it.... he doesn't.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)