Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

NEED SLEEP HELP

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:02 PM
  • 17 Replies
hi i have a 4 month old baby who doesn't sleep at all through the night and sometimes he doesn't sleep at all at night he will be awake all night. now it wouldn't normally bother me ... if i didn't have 3 older kids. when my older one did it i just switched my day and night and we transitioned together. but this one likes to wake up at bed time and fall asleep an hour before the others get up. i need a new method. i have tried thickening the bottles because he eats a lot. doc approved! i have tried the diming lights and no tv... made it worse. i have tried wearing him down before it worked but it kept me awake until 3 am. i am running on almost no sleep in the past 4 months. i am getting stretched thin and i just need some help

Wendy Wilsonin lovetoddler tantrumtoddler boytoddler girlbaby boy

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momforhealth
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Wait a few months. Seriously. At 4 months they are entering a new stage so the cycles change.  AND BABIES DO NOT sleep very long.  Each child is an individual so each can be different than the other. Then once you get baby on this schedule, you could have another at 9months. Sleep when baby sleeps.  Your baby could also be teething. I mixed a little water with tea tree oil and rubbed it on their gums.  Worked like magic....when they slept.  It was a little longer in the middle of the night.  Take turns with your husband.

wendyjoe
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:25 PM

at night he just wants to eat. i have tried giving him a pacifier but he just wants food. i can't sleep when he sleeps. i have a 2 yr old home full time. she is very bull headed she doesn't take naps. my husband works all day so i let him sleep the few hours he gets. he tends to eat more at night.

marisab
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:40 AM
what do u do when he s up? do u have anyone to help? whe does he sleep?
wendyjoe
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:49 AM

during the day he plays with his sister and i play with him between cleaning. at night when he is up i have him just lay there with a bottle and he eats it all and then wants more... he is already getting thickened bottles and food before bed. my husband could sleep through a train hitting the house. everyone else works. when hubby has a day off he takes him for a bit so i can do whatever but i usually clean (i have 4 kids in all and they all think cleaning is stupid even though i make it fun) he sleeps in a crib in our room as soon as he sleep more at night he will be in the boys room.

RosesReally
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Hugs Momma

Four month olds don't sleep a lot and cry, but I hope that you have family support or friends.  It will get better though.  I added about a table spoon of rice baby cereal to the formula.  It seemed to help.

kali_mom
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:17 PM
If he needs something maybe it's white noise. I never tried it until my last baby and it works wonders. I found it on my iPhone watching YouTube. It's labeled White Noise for Babies. There are stuffed giraffes and lambs you can buy from the toy store that also do the same thing. I know it must be challenging so hang in there. If you can get a babysitter once a week that would allow you to clean, sleep or shop freely with out any interruptions
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:38 PM

You could try white noise or playing classical music.

SewingMamaLele
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:45 PM
I know its a little late in the game... But maybe try seeing if he'll latch so he can nurse at night? Then, he can nurse all night long and you can just sleep through it.

Outside of that, I'd stop adding cereal and feed small amounts frequently throughout the day to tank him up.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Asenath
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:44 PM

My son was not a good sleeper either. I started making him stay awake longer during the day, and trying to take control of when he naps. This was only temporary, until he started sleeping more at night. Maybe dont let him sleep later than a certain time during the day, we still do this one. I even changed where he took naps (anywhere but the crib sometimes), and made sure he only slept in pajamas at night. Let there be a difference between nap time and night time. This taught  It will not be easy to keep an infant awake, but it will be worth it for the night. I would also suggest just leaving him in the crib at night, even when he is awake. Too much stimulation can keep them awake. It is going to be tough, so good luck and stay strong!

Mommytoaangel
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 3:24 PM
Set a rotine bath time with johnsons bed time bath stuff lotion with the bedtime lotion book in a dim room an a white noise machine worked for my god son hugs an good luck an feed him less in his bottle just feed him more through out the day
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)