Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

He won't stop BITING!

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:55 AM
  • 28 Replies

Lately DS has been biting me non stop. Everytime I nurse him he lays one on me and  I feel like I've been seriously wounded. He just turned 11 months last week and this has been going on for about 2 weeks. I can't even relax when I nurse him, I tense up. Once I let my guard down that's when he attacks, lol. He will either laugh because he finds it funny or cry when I tell him "no no". My DH wants me to start weening DS if i'm in so much pain but I want to make it at least a yr but if this continues I don't see how. And it's not just biting during nursing, he's biting me everywhere. He will crawl up to me and bite my legs through my jeans (yes it still hurts), he will bite my shoulder when I carry him, bite my fingers if I help feed him, ect. All these bites aren't quick bite and release either. He grasps on to whatever he's going to bite and pulls it through his teeth! So imagine nursing your baby and your half asleep, next thing you know is you nipple being pulled through 7 tiny sharp teeth! This happens in a blink of an eye, he does it so quickly. I've given him "chew" toys and snacks/ food that require more "biting", I don't know what else to do. Any advise? It's time to feed him and I'm hoping this feeding session won't be traumatic.

EDIT.... DH wants me to give DS whole milk already. I don't want to do this and won't do this. He mentioned that we can give DS a "Toddler milk supplement" instead. I told him that it's basically formula for toddlers and cost almost as much as much as baby formula depending on brand. SO that's when he said "yup, will just give him milk." I haven't pumped since Ds was 3 weeks old but if doesn't resolve itself soon I may have to pump.

by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
katiebeth1821
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:20 AM

It might be a number of things going on as far as being on the breast I was told to bring them into the breast when they do that I know that sounds cruel but makes them let go.

The biting all over you can be for attention or it could be he needs something to chew. My son use to bite and I found out that he has this thing where he needs chewing stuff. We got him toys he could chew on and food that was chewy. It really helped.

He had a need to chew stuff so instead of saying no no we told him what he cant bite and what he can. Dont just tell him no give him something to replace the no thing with a yes thing.

Make sure he knows its not ok there has to be a punishment for biting you. He thinks its a joke so you have to make it clear what he is doing has to stop.

Good luck to you, He sounds alot like my little one.

mylilsunshine
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:44 AM

I will definately take this advise into consideration. I can't believe I never thought of giving him something to chew on as a diversion. I guess I can be stubborn at time and hope my baby listens to me, lol, i know that sounds silly. Thank you for your input, hopefully this works

mylilsunshine
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:31 AM

Bump

katiebeth1821
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 3:34 AM

When my younger one started biting I refused for awhile to give him something to chew I thought to myself im not giving my son a chew toy but I changed my mind and it really helped. If that doesnt work it might be something else going on like mommy but I think its just the need to chew.

Quoting mylilsunshine:

I will definately take this advise into consideration. I can't believe I never thought of giving him something to chew on as a diversion. I guess I can be stubborn at time and hope my baby listens to me, lol, i know that sounds silly. Thank you for your input, hopefully this works

paganmommy4
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 3:36 AM
1 mom liked this

bite him back.. Not hard.. Its the only way he'll learn

Ilaynasmommy
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:16 AM
1 mom liked this
And the debate starts lol... but this. I wouldn't do it during a feeding session but wait until he does it nonfeeding.

Quoting paganmommy4:

bite him back.. Not hard.. Its the only way he'll learn

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KeishaJL
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:29 AM

When my sons started that my doc said, cut them off.  If they're old enough to bite it means they're at the point they need more milk than you're able to give comfortably.  He's teething and the chewing now is just the beginning.  If you want to continue giving him breast milk, try pumping and giving him a bottle.  He's old enough now to eat jars of fruit and veggies now too.  Some lil ones learn to settle down on the biting because they've moved on to spoons to chew on.  At one year they can have whole milk as well.  If you're not comfortable taking him off the breast yet you can talk to your doc's office and see if they have other suggestions.

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:52 AM
1 mom liked this
Omg don't bite him!
He is a baby, he doesn't know... Biting him isnt going to teach him not to bite. Your the grown up--- have a grown up reaction--- if he threw his poop at u, would u throw urs at him? Ridiculous!

My guess is that he sees you make a funny face and get all loud and different when he bites you.. And it is fun to illicit a response from you.. More like a " look what i can do" like when they throw a cup off the high chair... Isn't this interesting.... When i do this- she does this!!! Wow!!!

When he bites, say " be gentle, no bite." Remain calm. Don't make a fuss to illicit the fun reaction. Close up the "shop" after he bites. He will learn that biting results in no nursing ... And he can make that connection. Gently, without being physically hurt.
Just remind him "no bite, gentle, love mommy, kiss mommy, no biting... "He will get it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ali840
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:54 AM
This is not true, don't stop nursing! I'm sorry but your dr is wrong! All you need to do is teach him nursing manners. For biting that means staying calm and putting baby down somewhere he can't follow you for a few minutes. He'll really learn quickly that biting means no boob. Please, please, please, don't stop nursing. Join the breastfeeding group, they have the best nursing advice ever.

Quoting KeishaJL:

When my sons started that my doc said, cut them off.  If they're old enough to bite it means they're at the point they need more milk than you're able to give comfortably.  He's teething and the chewing now is just the beginning.  If you want to continue giving him breast milk, try pumping and giving him a bottle.  He's old enough now to eat jars of fruit and veggies now too.  Some lil ones learn to settle down on the biting because they've moved on to spoons to chew on.  At one year they can have whole milk as well.  If you're not comfortable taking him off the breast yet you can talk to your doc's office and see if they have other suggestions.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ali840
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:57 AM
Also, when he bites you can stop nursing, give him a teether to chew on to relieve pain, then try again later.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN