Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

if your toddler comes home with bite scars

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:40 PM
  • 12 Replies
would you report that to the daycare provider? my lo came home with an awful read wound and i couldnt see if it was a bite or if he just got hurt playing. 4 days later, when it started to dry, you could clearly see white areas that looked like teeth and then the brown scars over the areas that were bleeding. i shared that with the daycare provider and she told me there is one kid that bites. two days ago, i noticed another read wound near the other one (they are both upper arm by the way) and i forgot to mention it when i picked him and up and when i dropped him off. so this morning i texted her.she hasnt responded at all and knowing her, she is probably pissed. but i also know that 7 to 12 is probably a busy time and she might be busy. was i wrong?
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ceciliam
by Cecilia on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:41 PM

I would report it. I don't think you were wrong.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes any marks that cause bleeding and SCABS I would make sure the provider knew about.

ballerossandra
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Thanks

Quoting frndlyfn:

Yes any marks that cause bleeding and SCABS I would make sure the provider knew about.

enlightened_24
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:59 PM
1 mom liked this

They are wrong. They have to tell you. Hell, we would tell our parents if their kid fell on the playground and the general area they landed on so that the parents would know what happened if a bruise or knot developed. That daycare sounds iffy. Do they have any previous charges or complaints against them?

belindah
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 3:10 PM

no you are not wrong, you have the right to be concerned over your childs well being

Whitney15
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 3:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I would really be looking for a new childcare. As someone who has 5 years experience working in a childcare, I have a few opinions. The fact that they didn't know that your child was bit in the first place is not a good sign. I would imagine that your lo cried at least a little bit when he got bit, especially since it was a bite that let a mark for 4 days...what were they doing that they didn't notice that? Also, when you have a child that is known to bite, it is sometimes impossible to prevent a bite. It happens in a second. However, when you have a child that is known to bite, you make sure that you pay extra attention to that child to try your best to prevent it. On the times that a bite is unable to be stopped, you make sure you take care of it properly(ice it) and then notify the parent as well as fill out an incident report. It is very troubling to me that none of that happened in your situation. 

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Apr. 5, 2013 at 3:13 PM

If she knew it happened she should have told you and written an incident report.

jabs54
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 3:16 PM

I'm a daycare provider and have had a couple biters in my many years of daycare.  I have never had a child get bitten and not known about it and I always tell the parents.  Was your child wearing long sleeves?  Even so, she should have known. 

CatFishMom
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 3:20 PM

I would be raising hell, so, no, I dont think youre wrong. If a child is biting hard enough to draw blood, theres a big problem and something needs to be done, whether it be an issue of supervision or the child being turned out of the center for harming others. If they refused to do anything about it, Id remove my own kid and make sure all the parents knew why.

loriec
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Not at all wrong. This is your child and you should bring this to the providers attention. They would bring it to your attention if the child has bites,scratches or marks.

Take pics of the injuries as well just incase something goes down and you have proof. The reason I am saying this is because you never know what really goes on. It could be the other kid,but they need to watch more carefully and acknowledge that the other kid is doing it.  Your child isn't safe around a kid that is known to do things like that.

I personally have a beef with an past at home provider that used to watch my son. I remember picking him up from the provider and him having scratches all on his arm and on face. When I brought this to the attention of the provider she says he was like that when he woke up from his nap. Also that I need to cut his nails. Then she wanted me to co-sign with what she is saying by signing a paper. I didn't co-sign with the story she had. I didn't believe he scratched his self up that bad she wouldn't notice. If a baby got hurt like that they'd cry or scream. That is what I believe. I can't see a provider not really knowing what happened then implying that the wounds were self inflicted. Well I wasn't trying to be a drama queen but I am a concerned parent. And I certaintly didn't want to sign a paper saying that he scratched hisself like that,while noone seen or heard anything & needs his nails cut.  

I took my son to the doctor afterwards,I am always on the defense because you never know when things get hot they will put the blame on you.It's someone at the daycare doing it,another child or another adult. That's why I took pics and the baby to the doctor myself.  When seeing the scratches.  The doctor asked was their a cat at the provider,but there was none to my knowledge. Till this day I think the providers story was B.S. Can't prove what happened but I know I did the right thing removing him.

It's so hard to trust anyone with your child licensed providers will cover their own hiney's. Parents we have to cover our children and ours.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured