Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Playground etiquette

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:48 PM
  • 15 Replies

Would it be rude to ask a 4-5 year old to stop playing on the baby swing so my baby can use it (or any other older child using baby equipment)? I feel like they have a right to play on whatever they want, but a baby can only play with limited things in a public park (usually only a swing). We went to the park yesterday and a little girl was swinging on the baby swing (not young enough to fit in it). SO went to ask her to get off but I stopped him. She got off after a minute or two, but it left me wondering what would be the right thing to do.

ETA I'm not sure why I'm getting any rude comments. I'm the type of person that is nice to the point that I get walked all over a lot, and I often let things go rather than confronting anyone. This girl was only using the baby swing because someone had flipped the regular swing over the top so that it was too short for her to reach (which I had SO fix). I wasn't annoyed or angry that she was using it, I have no problem waiting but wanted others opinions. This was the first time we have ever taken her to any park.

by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:54 PM

I would just wait it out.

MamaSnaps
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:57 PM

I'd wait it out too. Probably sitting next to the swing making it very obvious I was waiting. 

jojo_star
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes. They were there first. Doesn't matter what they are on, you don't ask a child (or anyone, for that matter) to move so you or your child can use it. 

Bmat
by Barb on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:08 PM

No, it isn't good manners to ask the child to get off.  The adult who is watching her should notice that there is a baby who would like to use the swing, but you shouldn't say anything.

jackiewal10
by Gold Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Eh...you're at a public park.  You don't have the right at ask anyone to stop playing with anything.  You just deal with it.  My older DS still liked to swing in the "baby" swing last summer.  He was 4-4.5 last summer.  He doesn't know how to use the "big kid" swings.  I see no issue with it.  Just because you have a younger child, doesn't mean you get to dictate who can use what.

erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:20 PM
Yes very rude you have no more right than anyone else.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ilana_ny
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Extremely rude. My DS is 4.5 and still uses baby swing. You have no right to tell my child what he can or can not play with in a public park. As long as he is not hurting anyone, he can do what he wants in a PUBLIC park. 

emilyelephant
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:18 PM

That is fine. I have no problem waiting, I only asked for others' opinions as I found it rude myself but am often told that I am "too nice"

Quoting ilana_ny:

Extremely rude. My DS is 4.5 and still uses baby swing. You have no right to tell my child what he can or can not play with in a public park. As long as he is not hurting anyone, he can do what he wants in a PUBLIC park. 

knoxmomof2
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:20 PM

I would just wait it out.... You really can't ask a child to move on and the parents might see it as you being bossy. Probably best to wait :) Nothing wrong with your question. 

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:30 PM

I would ask if we could have a turn for the baby to swing on it.  Then if/when she was done I would thank her for sharing the playground swings.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)