Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

What do you do when your 3 year-old is hitting you?

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:04 PM
  • 16 Replies
My son has started to hit me when he's angry (when he isn't getting something he wants...for example, when I don't let him eat candy for breakfast, or when I catch him after he runs away from me in public). I'd love to hear advice from you moms on how you handle your child(ren) hitting you, if you've found something non-corporal that works. Thank you!!
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Grab his hands in a stern voice say "Hand are for helping and hugging NEVER for Hurting or hitting" can you show me how to use them nicely by huggng me.

If he runs away in public get him and leave . While telling him because you dont stay with me we have to leave.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:33 PM

I would hold her hands firmly in mine and talk about gentle touch.   Hitting gets time outs whether at home or in public.   She had to ride the cart like a baby if she could not follow directions.  I do not tolerate running in a store or in public unless it is at a park away from cars.

brittany208
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Sorry, we DO use spankings for hittings. I know it doesnt work for some children, but it worked great for him. He knows if he hits, he gets a spank. And I could see the little wheels in his head turning when he went to hit me... then stopped mid swing and gave me a gentle pat instead. He hit me maybe once, and I havent had problems with it ever again. (And i didnt spank him hard. just enough so he knows what will happen if he hits)

jcampbell288
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:41 PM

watch supernanny! she has awesome ideas

Marimaru
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 1:08 AM

I hold her still until she stops trying to hit me.  It's only come up a couple of times, but she had a few tantrums where she'd try to hit me, then I grab her arms and she tries to kick me.  Finally I end up in a pretzelly bear hug holding her arms and legs and she's trying to hit me with her head.  After a few minutes she finally calmed down and said she was sorry.  Fortunately it hasn't happened in months, and she quit the habit she'd started forming of raising her hand to hit when she was mad.

kingkongsmom
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 1:24 AM

my grandson was hitting me and I sat him in time out (daughter said time out wouldnt work) lol when he got up I sat him back down and blocked him, he got the idea that granma will stand/sit in your way till time out is done, now he only tries hitting me when his mom is right there....kicking me got him a slap on his hand and time out.

we now have an understanding, he still tries to get away with it in front of his mom and I just say "granma don't play that." he understands it as granma isnt putting up with it. he is 2 1/2 can hit, throw things, kick really hard for toddler.

want10more
by Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 3:21 AM

my 3 yr old has tantrums too. i make him sit in my lap. i did that w/ my 6 yr old too, when he was having a cow. they HAD to sit there, while i made the face of lah lah lah i don't even hear you. when they started to tire, i'd say are you ready to be a good boy now? they'd usually say NO I NOT! so...... i just kept sitting. and sitting. and sitting. got really boring for them. epsecially when i refused to give in, or acknowlege their tantrum. i'd always say, gee, i just don't HEAR somebody screaming at me, i don't NOTICE when somebody's not being nice. i'll see you when you're nice again. you're sucha good boy, i think you'll be nice very soon. and NEVER did i let them see me sweat. i was mother teresa on prosac. drives them crazy to NOT getta rise outta ya.

want10more
by Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 3:25 AM
1 mom liked this

i have 6 kids. spanking worked great w/ 2 of em. 2 of em i swear you could club w/ a 2x4 and they wouldn't notice! hah! for those, you tell em, you have to sit on the couch and you'd swear you took away their bday! i am not against spanking, but of course, since you are on the same page you know there is a difference between a swat, a spanking and a BEATING. spanking is fine, so long as it corrects instead of really hurts. right?

Quoting brittany208:

Sorry, we DO use spankings for hittings. I know it doesnt work for some children, but it worked great for him. He knows if he hits, he gets a spank. And I could see the little wheels in his head turning when he went to hit me... then stopped mid swing and gave me a gentle pat instead. He hit me maybe once, and I havent had problems with it ever again. (And i didnt spank him hard. just enough so he knows what will happen if he hits)

polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 3:30 AM
Time out usually works. I have smacked her hands when she's gotten violent with the baby though. It upset her and we didn't have another incident for almost a week. I only did it that once though, because every other time she has either apologized, or she apologized after a time out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sunshine257
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 3:53 AM
I grab his hands and say " we don't hit people." Then he goes straight to time out.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)