Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baby's first tooth

Posted by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:15 AM
  • 11 Replies
Okay so I am a little freaked out... My almost 5 month old has started cutting a tooth. At first I thought it was a normal incisor bc I could feel a sharp hard place in her gum on the bottom left side. I haven't been paying attention on where my finger has been that she's been chewing on until tonight. And I freaked. My husbands aunt who has a child also saw it and said it is definitely a tooth but get this, it's her lower left CANINE. Wth?! Is this normal? Do I need to call her doctor? I'm kind of beside myself on this one so ladies if you have heard of this before please let me know.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Why are you freaking out about which tooth is coming in?   From what i understand it is totally up to chance which one will come first but there are a few which are more common.

Mylittlelovely
by Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:24 AM
Because I am a first time mom and have always heard that the incisors come in first. I'm freaking out because I know nothing about this, if it causes her more pain, if its not normal and needs to be checked out...etc. I'm happy she is cutting her first tooth. Just worried for her if its not normal and I need to do something different than if it was an incisor. I would do ANYTHING to make my baby girl more comfortable. You understand? My husbands aunt was wondering why I was freaking out too and after I told her she understood but couldn't tell me anything bc her daughters teeth Mae in "like they should"...

Quoting frndlyfn:

Why are you freaking out about which tooth is coming in?   From what i understand it is totally up to chance which one will come first but there are a few which are more common.

Mylittlelovely
by Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:33 AM
I apologize if I am overreacting. I'm a first time mom and have always been told the middle incisors come in first. Anyone I personally know, their babies middle incisors came in first. I just want to make sure that everything is okay and that she doesn't need to be checked out for it. I just want to make sure she is as comfortable as possible as any parent would want for their child. That I don't need to do anything different. In a way it's like seeing something on your child's body that is rare or unheard of and you don't know what's going on so you check it out right? That's what I'm doing here. I'm not as panicked as my post makes me sound but its been a crazy day bc she choked earlier so I guess I am just on the guard...
Marimaru
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 1:00 AM

They usually come in first, that much is true.  But it's not a huge thing if they don't.  You'd only need to have it looked at if all the other teeth were coming in and there was still one that was missing quite a while down the road.

elzmnsf
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 1:50 AM
I mean, let's put everything back into proper prospective. I know you are worried , first time and all. But even if it is abnormal, they can't stop the tooth from coming in. If by some strange occurrence the other tooth is missing, there isn't anything that could be done until much further down the road. So getting all worked up and in a flutter does no good. May as well save that up for when it is needed, because it is likely that at some point in the child's life that level of worry will be appropriate. Just breath mama!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
want10more
by Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 3:28 AM

my dad had a full set by 4 mos. don't freak, they all come in their own time. get something cool for her to chew on, refridgerated chewy toys. and get some baby ambesol. terrycloth towels put in the freezer are great too. it's normal, no worries. no reason to think she'd have bad toooofers or nuttin.

want10more
by Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 3:31 AM

don't apologize, not a bad thing for a first time mom to worry! i have 6, i don't even worry when they juggle knives anymore. (heh) she's fine, just be ready for a lil crankiness and maybe a slight temp. use ibuprofen not acetaminophin, and be ready w/ the cold stuff for her to chew on, and the baby ambesol.

Quoting Mylittlelovely:

I apologize if I am overreacting. I'm a first time mom and have always been told the middle incisors come in first. Anyone I personally know, their babies middle incisors came in first. I just want to make sure that everything is okay and that she doesn't need to be checked out for it. I just want to make sure she is as comfortable as possible as any parent would want for their child. That I don't need to do anything different. In a way it's like seeing something on your child's body that is rare or unheard of and you don't know what's going on so you check it out right? That's what I'm doing here. I'm not as panicked as my post makes me sound but its been a crazy day bc she choked earlier so I guess I am just on the guard...

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 3:40 AM

Hugs I totally get it .   The ones we had real problems with pain were the molars which usually come in around 15 m - 2 yrs old.   DD preferred gentle naturals teething drops and a cold teether in the shape of a hand.  You can discuss your concerns with her regular doctor as well as find out if there are any ped. dentists in your area that will take a look at her so they can explain the what to expect of teething from a professional stand point.

Seans_mommy123
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:42 AM

My oldest DS had one of his lateral incisors come in first. 

brittany208
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 9:35 AM

There are a few that usually come in first, but they can come in in any order.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured