Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

help my 6year old hates the baby

Posted by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:57 PM
  • 33 Replies
I had my third child feb 20 and now my 6 year old hates her. She will say mom im sick and take her to the doctor and she is fine or have tantrums over the little things like cleaning her room im at my wits ends. How do i change this nothing helps, i have spent one on one time included her in everything. I just dont know anymore
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hargonagain
by Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Why not let her help with the baby? Ask her opinion about things, like what the baby should wear, or why she thinks the baby is crying etc.  Don't force it, but maybe if she has a bigger role in the babys day she will get over the rivalry.

Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 1:25 PM
3 moms liked this

One thing that worked for me is to validate her feelings, say things like "This baby sure takes up a lot of my time" "I know your sister is kind of annoying right now" "You wish it was just you and me again?" They just haven't bonded yet, it takes time. Never insist that she love her sister, but tell her that her sister really likes her! "Look at how the baby is staring at you! She really likes you!" Good luck mama, it will get better!

Bubandrorysmom
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 1:27 PM
I agree ! I think that might help a lot let her be mommys little helper. we did this with our son when our daughter was born they are also 6 years apart and he loved it. we always let him hold her when he wanted to and told him he could read and such things. Also we bought him a gift from her when she was born and he got to pick gifts out for her to give at our babys shower( which was after she was born). I also breastfeed and i have pumped and let him be the one to feed her her first bottle it was awesome to watch! anything you could include them in together would be great i think this will help and you are giving her one on one attention which is important to, im sure you are doing a good job you just got to give it some time and im sure she will come around. Im sure all children are different when it comes to getting a new sibling but hopefully this helps you out good luck! :)
BrittSam2011
by Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 1:58 PM

My first little guy was EXTREMELY jealous of his first little brother. He didnt start to like him until my second was over 4 months old. Then he didnt want to do anything but play with him. My oldest is 3 now and he adores his little brothers. Even the newest one who's 4 months old. He likes helping me get diapers and wipes from the drawer, pick out clothes, and I can't tell you how many times a day he wants to kiss him on the head. So cute.

atlmom2
by Platinum Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 2:08 PM
Let her help you. What do you do when she has temper tantrums? Tell her they are unexceptable then discipline her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lextjmom0709
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 2:30 PM
1 mom liked this
I bought something from the baby for my odd and my ds, plus for her birthday the baby got her a present. I ask what she should wear and get her involved.

Quoting Bubandrorysmom:

I agree ! I think that might help a lot let her be mommys little helper. we did this with our son when our daughter was born they are also 6 years apart and he loved it. we always let him hold her when he wanted to and told him he could read and such things. Also we bought him a gift from her when she was born and he got to pick gifts out for her to give at our babys shower( which was after she was born). I also breastfeed and i have pumped and let him be the one to feed her her first bottle it was awesome to watch! anything you could include them in together would be great i think this will help and you are giving her one on one attention which is important to, im sure you are doing a good job you just got to give it some time and im sure she will come around. Im sure all children are different when it comes to getting a new sibling but hopefully this helps you out good luck! :)

lextjmom0709
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 2:31 PM
Its funny she never acted like this when my ds who is almost 4 was born now its a 180
amc103
by Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 2:37 PM

I dont have any advice but wanted to tell you that you're not alone. My DS1 doesnt like DS2 at all. He's terrified. :-/

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 3:04 PM
2 moms liked this

That is not hate.  That is jealousy which we all go through but for a 6 yr old, her world has been turned upside down with a new baby that needs mommy's attention. The difference between her and the brother is that you have another girl so she could feel like she is being replaced in the gender department of family.   Just keep talking to her like the others have state and remain consistent in discipline for when she does not make good choices.

Zazayam
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 5:11 PM

I'm sure it's jealousy. Try telling her how important she is and how you really need such a great helper and have her do things for/with the baby.

Mommy needs a handy dandy helper can you pleeeaaase hand me a diaper?

Stuff like that. Worked pretty well with mine.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured