Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Please help! My 7-yr-old just started her period...

Posted by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 5:02 PM
  • 125 Replies

My 7-yr-old started her period yesterday, and I am not sure how to explain everything. I never heard of anyone starting so young! I think I'm handling it pretty well around her so as not to have her freak out about it, but it's tearing me up inside. What's bothering me is the fact that she's just so childlike, from being the smallest in her class resulting from prematurity, to her preference for preschool tv shows like "Doc McStuffins."

My mother advised me to talk to her about what was happening to her as if she was older because she's a smart girl. I did that, and loads of extra questions followed. I tried to explain the reason for her period, but there are some things she is just not ready to understand.

Last night, I purchased a book about puberty on my Kindle, and we read parts of it together. She liked this and it seemed to help her understand. However, this morning, she seemed really down and kept asking me when will it go away and why does she have to have it.  It was heartbreaking for me.

I am trying to treat it like it's no big deal so that she can maintain as much of her happy-go-lucky childhood as possible. She attended school yesterday (after the doctor visit), attended a friend's birthday party earlier today, and is now out enjoying sidewalk chalk with the little girl who lives next door. The difference now is she keeps coming in to go check her panty liner in the bathroom.

I am new here, and searched for a group of moms online for the sole purpose of asking for advice on this. This site looks really interesting, and I will certainly be a regular from now on. But for right now, I'm all ears.

ANY advice is welcome. How do I make this easier for her?

by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 5:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LABELmeCUTE
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 5:11 PM
2 moms liked this
Ouch.... I can't even imagine having to explain that to my 7 years old... I'm with you, try to avoid making her feel akward or uncomfortable because she's still really young, and the book was a great idea, maybe rent a movie from the library and let her watch it, also have her mark it on the calendar soo you both can keep track of it, explain to her the importance of personal hygiene's (bathing,putting on deodorant,changing her pad every two hours,smelling good etc) ,& let her know that she doesn't have to be embarrassed about this because its normal...goodluck moma(:
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 5:17 PM
1 mom liked this
So sad. Girls that age shouldn't have to deal with this. Also having her keep it to herself since probably next to none of her classmates know about this either. Mine were 6th and 8th grade in the normal range. Was she freaking out? My small tiny dd was 14.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kellysparkles
by Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 5:17 PM

That's really tough and must be frightening for her.  I used to babysit a girl who got her period at nine and her mom had a difficult time trying to explain it, too.  One thing she did do was take her daughter to her OB so that the OB could answer questions her daughter had and she had the models of the uterus.  Then she took her out for a girls day (hair and nail salon and a nice lunch) because the event meant that she was maturing.  

I think you're handling it wonderfully!  The book was a great idea (I had one when I was younger called "The Care and Keeping of You" and it was a great resource.  Good luck :)

luvkids329
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 5:18 PM
I remember the feeling and my daughter was 12 when she started,I think your doing everything just right:) trying to make her feel comfortable about it is important,I think you should also talk to the Dr. Maybe cause Its so early...the Dr. told me once they get body hair down there to expect a period any time,but 7 still seems too young:( hang in there,seems like your already doing an awesome job*
proudmommy690
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 5:21 PM
Oh my goodness you scared me lol my oldest will be 7 and im sooo not ready for that yet :/ my mom never talked to me about it so i dont know how to talk to her. Good luck but sorry im no help.
NeenaJ77
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Quoting LABELmeCUTE:

Ouch.... I can't even imagine having to explain that to my 7 years old... I'm with you, try to avoid making her feel akward or uncomfortable because she's still really young, and the book was a great idea, maybe rent a movie from the library and let her watch it, also have her mark it on the calendar soo you both can keep track of it, explain to her the importance of personal hygiene's (bathing,putting on deodorant,changing her pad every two hours,smelling good etc) ,& let her know that she doesn't have to be embarrassed about this because its normal...goodluck moma(:

These are great ideas, thanks! It's a great time for the two of us to have movie night, especially with Dad out of town. Love the calendar idea too. I'll let her choose it. Thanks again! :)

NeenaJ77
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 5:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting atlmom2:

So sad. Girls that age shouldn't have to deal with this. Also having her keep it to herself since probably next to none of her classmates know about this either. Mine were 6th and 8th grade in the normal range. Was she freaking out? My small tiny dd was 14.

She didn't exactly freak out. It started as a normal weekday morning with me calling her several times to wake up for school. Then she screamed in the bathroom and called me for help. I was able to calm her down pretty quickly, mainly because she'd just asked me about two weeks ago why do I keep buying "these pink boxes of panty things."

She also asked me if she was dying because I immediately scheduled a doctor's appointment. I told her she's fine, and that I go to my doctor for that sometimes too, like a check up. She seemed okay with that.

NeenaJ77
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 5:41 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting kellysparkles:

That's really tough and must be frightening for her.  I used to babysit a girl who got her period at nine and her mom had a difficult time trying to explain it, too.  One thing she did do was take her daughter to her OB so that the OB could answer questions her daughter had and she had the models of the uterus.  Then she took her out for a girls day (hair and nail salon and a nice lunch) because the event meant that she was maturing.  

I think you're handling it wonderfully!  The book was a great idea (I had one when I was younger called "The Care and Keeping of You" and it was a great resource.  Good luck :)

Great idea! I think my OB would do an awesome job explaining some things to her..I actually drive 45 mins away to my old community just to keep the same doc, because she makes me feel so comfy and is the sweetest lady! Thanks!

Kaylawv2
by Kayla on Apr. 6, 2013 at 5:44 PM
Good luck I don't really know what advice to give but my sister started hers when she was only 8.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
x_Starr_x
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 5:44 PM
is it just a dab of blood or full flow.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN