Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

clumsy child

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 8:31 AM
  • 13 Replies

my little girl is 2 in may she is very clumsy always falling over banging her head tripping up she gets excited and runs every were we have started to put trainers on her as they help her to walk better and she finds them comfier than shoes she was a late walker didn't walk till new years day she was 19 month old. she is a very active little child but also small for her age so falls affect her more  she is 21lb 5oz and sees a dietician for this we went to the playground before and she was running. hers is like a little toddle run I said to slow down chloe she did but triped fell her head hit the floor she scraped her head hands and nose I was right next to her when she fell went to grab her but it  made no bloody differance I was just wondering is there anything I can put on these cuts what should I carry in her bag when we out so if she falls it will help us what could i do to keep her safe when out and about she walks next to me holds my hand but she 2 soon so likes to explore and walk on her own be a little inderpendant which I like to incourage xx

by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 8:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
motherofjb
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 8:34 AM
Keep neosporing on them. It will keep them from scaring. Carry neosporing and band aids. I have a rough and tough 2.5 yr old and I don't leave the house will a good supply of band aids and neo!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
armyvet06
by Ashley on Apr. 7, 2013 at 8:37 AM
1 mom liked this
I always use neosporin and if I don't have that, I will use A&D ointment.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bamababe1975
by Gold Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this

It's totally normal to be so clumsy at that age. You just have to stay prepared with a small first aid kit in your bag filled with bandages, triple antibiotic ointment (I like Neo To Go since it's a spray you can just quickly spritz on and apply the bandage, or get band-aids with the ointment already on them to skip a step), and more. I like to make sure I have a bottle of water with me, too, so I can use that to rinse off debris before applying the meds or band-aids. I also keep Children's Tylenol in there for pain relief.

singlemama0905
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:12 AM
normal to be clumsy... my son is horrible. my uncle couldn't stop laughing the other day because my son was tripping more often than staying on his feet while running around. btw ds is 2 and a half.
Reina13
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 1:06 PM

All three of my boys were clumsy at that age too. Just keep a little first aid kit with you at all times. We had neosporin, bandaid and alcohol swabs with us always for all the minor scraps and cuts they would get from falling.

zacmacsmomm
by Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Just keep neosporin handy. My daughter was the same, she was always running and always falling.  She was only 20lbs at 19 months

lonlynstresdmom
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 3:14 PM
1 mom liked this
My son was aslo n we found out he was 40% deaf cuz his ears were clogged. He got tubes in his ears n it got better. We also got convese for him to wear cuz they were light n it helped also. I cared spray wound cleaner n plety of his favorite bad aides
brittany208
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 4:18 PM

I'd say baby wipes to wipe dirt off her hands/knees after she falls, and neosporin for cuts. Maybe a water bottle to help rinse dirt out of cuts/scrapes.

My DS is very clumsy too, but he had clubfoot, so I think that's why. He doesnt usually get cuts and scrapes, though. Mostly, he just trips and falls constantly.

Ilaynasmommy
by Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 5:12 PM
Its normal. Dd used to get going and run right into the door jam. Consistently. Don't stress too much. These experiences are teaching her. Maybe keep neosporin and bandaids. I would also suggest one of the harness backpacks just as an extra method of protection. Dd started walking ay 13 mos. I bought one after her first bolt run and fall incident ans she loved. I don't get how her being small makes it worse though. Dd was 22 or 23 pounds when she turned 2 and she's still a tough little machine unless she wants to play the drama card to get attention.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Our family is a bit different than everyone else.  We use aloe not antibiotic creams  or honey if we are at /near home.  The antibiotic creams for dd seemed to make the scarring (if there was any) worse. Aloe or honey would clear up the owie over night when we covered with a bandage.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)