Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

a debate in my house today piog (chores,curfew,bedtime)

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:19 PM
  • 52 Replies

How old are your children and are they expected to do chores or housework... how old are they what are they expected to do and what do they get in return,,, also what time do they go to bed and what time is their curfew set at.... my children seem to think the way i run my  house is ridiculous and that it should be the adults job to do all of the work aside from cleaning their rooms (which is still a fight anyway) and taking care of their own laundry (which i do anyway)... interested in hearing how others "run" their houses

by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mama2my2boys
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:26 PM
lets see i have a 7yr old a 4yr old and a 2yr old.....they have a chore chart and for every 3 things they do with either me telling them once or not at all they get a star.....once they have 10 stars they can get a soda....if they get all their stars for the month i put 5bucks in their bank account....their chores are pushing their chair in after eating, taking their plate to the sink, making their bed, puting their clothes in the hamper.......i also have the 7 and 4 yr old sweep & vacume....and everynight they have to pick up their room.....as for bed time weekdays bedtime is no later then 9pm and weekend its 10pm....my 2 yr old likes to help with alot of chores...if i ask her to do something she does.....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama2my2boys
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:29 PM
also if they have toys all over the house i have them pick them up...before they do anything else ...ie play outside, watch tv etc.....as for a curfew well they are to young to play outside alone right now but when we do play outside on a week day they have to be in by 6....on the weekends we tend to stay outside a lil longer
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama2my2boys
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:30 PM
OP how old are your kids?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovinmama411
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Mine are 8 and 6, two boys. They clean their room, keep the yard cleaned up, unload the silverware from the dishwasher, dust, and put clothes away. They go to bed at 8 on school nights and they can stay up long as they want on weekends as long as they aren't rowdy (they are usually asleep by 10 no matter what, they are early birds).

Mrs.Godfrey
by Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:34 PM

i suppose i should share how it is in my house....

i have a 13 year old so a 12 year old daughter and an almost 7 year old son... the older children have a revolving chore list ( they alternate days m,w,f and the other tues,thurs and sat) the chores are as follows sweeping the living room and kitchen (we dont have carpets) dishes after dinner wiping the table and counter and taking out the trash... on the days opposite their chore day they are required to pick up their rooms  the youngest does random chores based on need and skill level excluding his room which he is required to pick up.... my childrens bedtimes are 8 for the youngest 9 the middle and 10 the oldest.. on weekends they are allowed 2 hours later making them 10 11 and 12

they do not get "allowence" so to speak but their wants are met based on their attitudes and participation

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:41 PM

DD is 7.  She is expected to help keep the house picked up especially things on the floor since neither of us "grownups"can bend down easily anymore.   Her bedtime is about 9pm and we do bathtime at 7:30pm so her hair has time to dry.  She gets various rewards for jobs well done.  We do not give money for chores but we give her loose change and a few dollars a week for her piggy bank to save up.  I also remind her not to worry about what goes on in other homes since this is our home not the joneses.

**ETA**  She also helps with laundry, putting dishes in sink, sweeping the kitchen floor, helping brush the cat, washing windows etc. We have started teaching her kitchen skills as well.

teenmom0305
by Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:42 PM

9yo dd and 3yo ds

DD puts everyones clothes away, cleans her room, helps ds clean his( because most days she helps mess it up) makes her bed,

ds picks up his toys, cleans the dinner table off within his abilities( he cant put glass dishes without breaking them. ) wipes the table off, helps take the trash out.

Bothe kids feed and water the cat and dog but dd cleans the litter box out. 

Bedtime is 8 on school nights and until they get tired. Usually about 9 or so.

zoo003
by Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:43 PM

My kids are 14, 12 and 10 years old.  We do not have many set chores, as in a chore list; however, we have a dog walking schedule (each day 2 kids walk the dog) and they must clean their rooms.  However, if I ask them to do something, i.e. unload/load the dishwasher, take out the trash, cleaning their bathroom, feed the dog, etc, I expect it done.  Our kids also have set bedtimes.  Our 14 y/o dd goes to bed at 9:30, our 12 y/o ds goes to bed at 9:00 and our 10 y/o ds goes to bed at 8:30.  On weekends it is extended 30 minutes.  As far as homework goes, they are expected to it.  I will ask them if they have any, and I will be there to help them if needed, but it is their responsibility (although I oversee it more for our 10 y/o).  For us, and I know some don't hold this opinion, which is ok, we do not give allowances.  They live here, so for us, it is expected that they help out around the house.  However, when they do need money to do something or because they want something extra, if they are helping out, then we give it to them (within reason).  This may not work for everyone but it works for us.  Otherwise, we really do run a pretty laid back household.         

Mrs.Godfrey
by Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:44 PM

my oldest through a fit tonight claiming it was not right that we made them do chores that that is the parents job to keep the house clean since we are the adults... i simply stated and how do you think we learned how to keep a house.... by doing chores as kids.... sigh

justinnaimee
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:44 PM
My kids are 6 and 2. My 6 year old has to pick up the living room daily. The 2 year old unloads the dishwasher. They have to keep their toy room and bedroom clean and they put hanging clothes on hangers. They dont get compensation beyond a roof over their heads and food in their bellies.

They go to bed by 8:30
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN