Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms
My kids do not have it, i do! I've tried everything and i mean everything i know of to get rid of it. Nothing helps!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:45 PM
Replies (31-38):
gardenmom571
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Quoting Cafe Steph:

Buy a Robi Comb. It's a battery-powered comb that you run through your hair and if it finds a nit or a louse it zaps it to kill it and then you just comb it away with the comb. It's inexpensive, it's painless, and it's the only thing when we went through our nasty bout with them 5-6 years ago that helped me get them out of my hair since I couldn't check myself thoroughly and my husband was pretty much blind when it came to spotting nits. ;)

Where do you find that?

gardenmom571
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Quoting sgtLF:

Try tea tree shampoo 

Where do you find it?

gardenmom571
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Where do you find the tea tree oil.

Quoting Moms_Angels1960:

Get the lice comb from Amazon, they hate Coconut so get shampoo and conditioner, use mayo, use Flea and Tick shampoo, use Listerine for 4 hours out your hair into a shower cap, get in the shower wnad out lots of conditioner in your hair and comb, comb, comb. I did ours every day for a while the lice treatments were expensive and just didn't seem to work really good.

Put Tea Tree oil in your shampoo it's like 15 drops.

Also, you can throw your pillow in the dryer for like 30 minutes same with stuffed animals, wash the bedding. Vaccum everything it's really hard to do thisa all the time but in the end it will help.

Sorry you are dealing with this I did most of what I said last summer when the neighbor girl gave my dd & I both head lice it's not fun.

Go on line and look for Home remedies

chicklopez
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 7:25 PM
2 moms liked this

Rubbing alcohol! In high school my (now ex) bf was cheating on me and I got head lice one of the times I went to his house.

I tried using RID, I did 3 different applications within weeks of each other, and nothing would get rid of it.

Finally, a friend of mine mentioned using kerosene...thankfully I had no access to it, and another friend told me rubbing alcohol.

I grabbed a bottle (ike 95%?) and doused my hair. Let it stay in your hair til your hair is mostly dry, then wash and shampoo like normal. All the lice will be gone.

Somehow or another I managed to not give lice to my family, friends, coworkers, or even infest my bed or car. I never treated anything (I was in high school), just my hair.

chicklopez
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Also make sure you are in a well ventilated area. I tried doing this in my closed room and almost passed out. I ended up going from my room, to an extra upstairs bedroom, then to the bathroom just to keep away from the fumes.

gardenmom571
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 7:30 PM
1 mom liked this

This is the first time I have ever seen lice. I never had it as a kid . But this is the 2nd time we have seen it in our home. We have fiqured it was the same 2 times we visited a family who have a very unclean life style . There kids are always dirty they have even been reported by there school for this. They don't go my kids school. We visited them in january after Christmas. We wheredoing a good thing and shortly after there was a bug on my kids head. Right on the top . Went to the Doc. Got all the meds and didn't see anything again till about a week ago , you guessed right after a visit to this same house. My son was in the bathroom after showering he was towel drying his hair and seen blk ones. This time I am going to do all the meds and shampooing etc. Plus bug bombing and never going near these people again and see what happens. 

gardenmom571
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 7:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I thought about rubbing alcohol . May try that.

Quoting chicklopez:

Rubbing alcohol! In high school my (now ex) bf was cheating on me and I got head lice one of the times I went to his house.

I tried using RID, I did 3 different applications within weeks of each other, and nothing would get rid of it.

Finally, a friend of mine mentioned using kerosene...thankfully I had no access to it, and another friend told me rubbing alcohol.

I grabbed a bottle (ike 95%?) and doused my hair. Let it stay in your hair til your hair is mostly dry, then wash and shampoo like normal. All the lice will be gone.

Somehow or another I managed to not give lice to my family, friends, coworkers, or even infest my bed or car. I never treated anything (I was in high school), just my hair.

nursesrit
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 7:41 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree in applying something that is oil based...mayo, olive oil,
even 99 cents skin lotion. Just as a previous poster said, saturate
your child's hair from top to bottom. Put on a shower cap for 24
hours. The oil suffocates these critters. Then shampoo like
normal, and rinse with vinegar. The vinegar helps to loosen
the nits (eggs). Apply conditioner. Then, use a fine tooth lice
comb. Repeat in 1 week, or sooner if you see more lice, or if
your child complains of his/her head itching again. Stay away from
these expensive lice products, because home made is cheaper
and safer. Some of those lice products can be toxic for children,
especially infants, and can cause allergic reactions.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN