Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

too much candy for my baby

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:35 PM
  • 17 Replies
1 mom liked this
Hi. DS is almost 6 years old. I have controlled his sugar intake very well. He eats healthy at home....however. this year he started preschool and since january, he asks me to give him money for school because all his friends buy sweets and icee and sodas during aftercare....i have been giving him money because i dont want him to feel left out among his buddies but its killing me that he is eating sooo much candy!!! Dont get me wrong, i have bought him sweets before, i let him be a kid...but eating garbage every day sounds too much for him!! I dont know what to do!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:10 PM
3 moms liked this

Limit it to once/week or a special occasion.  Following the crowd rarely works out well.  

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Tell him no he can not do that every day.  As another has said limit it to once a week for a treat and that is it.  He needs to learn as well as you, that things will not always be equal and mom is doing her best to make sure child is being healthy.

Mel0dy
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:14 PM

I would Limit it but I would also only give him money if he helps out around the house. 

atlmom2
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Not every day. Maybe a Friday treat.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Barb on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:07 AM

If this is against your better judgment,  then don't do it, or only once a week. He should be able to bring a small bag with a treat that you approve of.

LilliesValley
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:37 AM
I just told dd point blank that we can't afford it and they provide a balanced lunch (well in theory ) so no extras. She can take in money when they had buy orange leaf yogurt or Valentines day stuff but not all the time. It's her money she has earned and saved up and she is allowed to spend a certain amount. I think this way she learns that the extras in life come through hard work and saving.
Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:38 AM
I wouldn't, maybe once every so often.
aimesnyc
by Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:45 AM
1 mom liked this

It's not necessarily a bad thing to teach your children that they can't always get/do what others get/do.  I would limit it to once a week or so, as a special treat.

Kazmira222
by Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:11 PM
Just don't give him money. Only give him some like only a couple days a week.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jhslove
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Have you thought about giving him an allowance? Enough to buy a treat once or twice a week after school--not every day--but once the money is gone for the week, it's gone. He can decide whether to spend it on candy, or spend it on something else, or save it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)